• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mbellamy09

So i have a w2 and last year was a contractor. the last paycheck of last year got backlogged to 2017.can i use w2 return to pay 1099 in turbotax when i file?

or can i file my w2 then when i get return file 1099?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
WillK
Level 9

So i have a w2 and last year was a contractor. the last paycheck of last year got backlogged to 2017.can i use w2 return to pay 1099 in turbotax when i file?

If you have a W-2 and a 1099 you need to file them together on the same return. The IRS will be getting the same tax documents and will be looking for those when you file your return. You do not have to pay your balance due (if any) until the tax deadline of April 17th 2018. Most people who owe file their return when they can and then pay the balance due by the deadline. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
WillK
Level 9

If you have a W-2 and a 1099 you need to file them together on the same return. The IRS will be getting the same tax documents and will be looking for those when you file your return. You do not have to pay your balance due (if any) until the tax deadline of April 17th 2018. Most people who owe file their return when they can and then pay the balance due by the deadline. 

mbellamy09

thanks for quick response. on your if any part though does that imply the software will automatically take out whatever i owe on 1099 from my w2? because thats what i actually want
WillK
Level 9

When you go through the program and enter in all your income, expenses, deductions and credits, Turbo Tax will calculate the amount of taxes you owe.
mbellamy09

when i did that last year thats exactly what happened but i didnt have a w2. alright lets say i have a return from w2 of lik 5000. then i enter in 1099 info and i owe 1000 on that. will it use that 5000 to pay the 1000 on 1099 and just send me the leftover 4000?
WillK
Level 9

Yes, that is a way to look at it!
mbellamy09

Awesome thank you again for your help
VolvoGirl
Level 15

It's all combined on one return. and you get the net or owe.    So enter everything in.  Don't file until you are done.
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v