Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shellar23

In January of 2016 I was robbed. I sent a claim to my renters insurance. Do I claim that as income? How do I treat it on my return?

In January of 2016 I was robbed. I had renters insurance and filed a claim. I have been paid slightly less than $2300 on this claim thus far and have replaced most of my missing items. Sadly some were irreplaceable. Do I count that as income? How do I account for that on my tax return? Do I need to mention it at all? This robbery took place in Oklahoma. Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

In January of 2016 I was robbed. I sent a claim to my renters insurance. Do I claim that as income? How do I treat it on my return?

The insurance payment is not taxable income unless it is more than the original cost of the stolen items (then, only the difference would be taxable.)

You could declare a theft loss for the unreimbursed portion of the loss, but you probably won't benefit since the IRS deductibles are fairly high--you can only deduct part of the loss that is more than 10% of your income after a $100 deductible.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

The insurance payment is not taxable income unless it is more than the original cost of the stolen items (then, only the difference would be taxable.)

You could declare a theft loss for the unreimbursed portion of the loss, but you probably won't benefit since the IRS deductibles are fairly high--you can only deduct part of the loss that is more than 10% of your income after a $100 deductible.

shellar23

So I don't need to list it at all when I file?

Correct.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies