turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

So I am looking at effective tax rate of -29.30% is that correct

Effective Tax Rate means.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

"Effective tax rate" is the rate at which you actually pay tax, i.e., tax due divided by your income. "Marginal tax rate" is the rate at which your next dollar of income will be taxed.

When you see descriptions of tax brackets (10%, 15%, 25%, etc.), these are the marginal tax rates. But this is not the effective tax rate of what someone in the 25% tax bracket actually pays, because you pay a lesser tax rate on income in the lower brackets.

I am not sure what "-29.30%" means. But it is not uncommon for self-employed individuals to pay what seem to be high tax rates, because the self-employed owe two taxes on the Schedule C income: federal income tax and self-employment taxes (think: Social Security and Medicare). Since the self-employment tax rate is 15.3% of your net self-employment income, if you are in the 15% tax bracket, you might be looking at 29-30%.

ltg
Returning Member

@TurboTaxBillMc In 2016 Turbotax's Tax History Report said my ETR was -16%. My income to debt ratio was big that year and I was self-employed. @janinehumprey were you in a similar situation?

I actually have a question about how Turbotax calculates this value which can be negative. Here's the
link:

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4462410-what-useful-practical-information-does-the-effective-tax-r...>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies