turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I select only one state or multiple states for exempt-interest dividends on 1099-div? No single state is listed other than the 47 states and their income tax info.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Should I select only one state or multiple states for exempt-interest dividends on 1099-div? No single state is listed other than the 47 states and their income tax info.

Unless you are willing to go thru the calculation to break out JUST the amount from your own state's bonds, you would select "Multiple States" for all of it

1099-DIV_TaxExempt_State_Online_1.png

IF you are going to break out your own state's $$ then you check the selection that displays the extra boxes

(note, for a 1099-DIV, box 11, this is not allowed by Illinois, and CA & MN have severe restrictions on when it is allowed.  NJ also allows DC to be listed as NJ-exempt, and UT also exempts a few other states bonds).   The amount actually from your own state's bonds would have to be more than ~$50 or $100 before it had much of an effect.

Example is for a NC resident:

1099-DIV_TaxExempt_State_Online_2.png

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Unless you are willing to go thru the calculation to break out JUST the amount from your own state's bonds, you would select "Multiple States" for all of it

1099-DIV_TaxExempt_State_Online_1.png

IF you are going to break out your own state's $$ then you check the selection that displays the extra boxes

(note, for a 1099-DIV, box 11, this is not allowed by Illinois, and CA & MN have severe restrictions on when it is allowed.  NJ also allows DC to be listed as NJ-exempt, and UT also exempts a few other states bonds).   The amount actually from your own state's bonds would have to be more than ~$50 or $100 before it had much of an effect.

Example is for a NC resident:

1099-DIV_TaxExempt_State_Online_2.png

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies