toniquamckenzie

Should I save my W2’s for Uber and Lyft (Self-Employed) for the following year to file? Will it have a negative impact if I do?

You do NOT receive a W-2 if you are a Self-Employed Uber or Lyft driver.  You will receive a Form 1099-MISC for your income. 

ALL income received in 2019 MUST be entered on a 2019 tax return.  NOT on some future tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for Uber/Lyft income - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/uber-or-lyft/help/where-do-i-enter-my-lyft-uber-income/01/26804

SteamTrain

...AND...You save those 1099-MISC forms (and W-2 forms if you have other jobs) for at least 10 years.  Each in the tax-year folder that you save your copies of that year's tax returns.   You need to save them for a number of years, because the IRS (and State) does ask questions, or audits random tax returns long years after you filem (usually within 3 years, but not always).  Once you lose them, you have no proof of income for that year (and what's in the software is not sufficient proof of income) 

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Anonymous
Not applicable

complete sets of w-2's for any year from 1978 to present are available for a fee from the Social Security Admin.