turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wdelaney

Should I include my 18 year old dependent granddaughter W2 and SS benefits on my taxes or do her taxes separately?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Should I include my 18 year old dependent granddaughter W2 and SS benefits on my taxes or do her taxes separately?

You do not report his/her income on your return. If it has to be reported at all, it goes on his own return. If your dependent child is under age 19 (or under 24 if a full time student), he or she must file a tax return for 2017 if he had any of the following:

1.         Total income (W-2 wages, salaries, taxable scholarship etc.) of more than $6,350 (2017).

2.         Unearned income (interest, dividends, capital gains) of more than $1050 (2017).

3.         Unearned income over $350 and gross income of more than $1050

4.         Household employee income (e.g. baby sitting, lawn mowing) over $2000 ($6350 if under age 18)

5.         Other self employment income over $400, including box 7 of a 1099-MISC

Even if he had less, he is allowed to file if he needs to get back income tax withholding. He cannot get back social security or Medicare tax withholding.

He doesn’t get his own $4050 exemption (deduction), when he files. In TurboTax, he indicates that somebody else can claim him as a dependent, at the personal information section.

Notice that Social security is not included in the filing requirement. Social security only becomes taxable when added to sufficient other income. If she is otherwise required to file a tax return, you do need to enter it in Turbotax (TT). TT will determine the taxable portion.

Social security (including SSDI) only becomes taxable when her income, including 1/2 her social security, reaches $25,000.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

You do not report his/her income on your return. If it has to be reported at all, it goes on his own return. If your dependent child is under age 19 (or under 24 if a full time student), he or she must file a tax return for 2017 if he had any of the following:

1.         Total income (W-2 wages, salaries, taxable scholarship etc.) of more than $6,350 (2017).

2.         Unearned income (interest, dividends, capital gains) of more than $1050 (2017).

3.         Unearned income over $350 and gross income of more than $1050

4.         Household employee income (e.g. baby sitting, lawn mowing) over $2000 ($6350 if under age 18)

5.         Other self employment income over $400, including box 7 of a 1099-MISC

Even if he had less, he is allowed to file if he needs to get back income tax withholding. He cannot get back social security or Medicare tax withholding.

He doesn’t get his own $4050 exemption (deduction), when he files. In TurboTax, he indicates that somebody else can claim him as a dependent, at the personal information section.

Notice that Social security is not included in the filing requirement. Social security only becomes taxable when added to sufficient other income. If she is otherwise required to file a tax return, you do need to enter it in Turbotax (TT). TT will determine the taxable portion.

Social security (including SSDI) only becomes taxable when her income, including 1/2 her social security, reaches $25,000.

You should not claim your dependent's W-2 income and Social Security benefits on your return.

When you prepare her separate return, do indicate on the Your personal info page that someone can cliam her on their tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies