ddtilley1

Should I include $600 my nephew earned for a prison job.? He received no W2 but must file to get the stimulus.

It’s his only income but I have no proof of it. No taxes were withheld that I know of.

You may prepare a tax return for your nephew, and he would be entitled to a recovery rebate.  You can't sign for him unless you have a power of attorney, or he signs and gives you a form 2848, which you attach to his tax return and mail in. (This form is like a power of attorney but it only gives you authority to file his tax return.). Or, you can print the return and take it to the prison, have him sign, and mail it to the IRS. 

You can list the inmate income as "other income".  At that amount, it won't be taxable. 

The IRS will only direct deposit a refund into a bank account with the taxpayers name and social security number.  If your nephew does not have a bank account, he will have to request a check.  It will be mailed to whatever address you use on his tax return (you could list your house, or his parent's, etc.). Don't try to get the direct deposit into your bank account. 

fanfare

there is no tax on an income of $600 so it matters not what you do.

ddtilley1

Very much appreciated, thank you so much, Opus 17.