turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jctrkstr

Should I file married filling jointly or married filling separately since I just got married last year but my wife has taxes she owes from previous years ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Should I file married filling jointly or married filling separately since I just got married last year but my wife has taxes she owes from previous years ?

The decision to file jointly or file separate has many considerations that depend on your situation.  This TurboTax link Should You and Your Spouse File Taxes Jointly or Separately? explains the advantages and disadvantages of filing separately vs filing jointly.

You may also want to consider filing as an  Injured Spouse. An injured spouse is a taxpayer who files a joint return and all or part of the portion of the joint overpayment (refund) is, or expected to be, applied against legally enforceable past obligation of the other spouse.

This TurboTax link What is IRS Form 8379: Injured Spouse Allocation has information you may find useful

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

The decision to file jointly or file separate has many considerations that depend on your situation.  This TurboTax link Should You and Your Spouse File Taxes Jointly or Separately? explains the advantages and disadvantages of filing separately vs filing jointly.

You may also want to consider filing as an  Injured Spouse. An injured spouse is a taxpayer who files a joint return and all or part of the portion of the joint overpayment (refund) is, or expected to be, applied against legally enforceable past obligation of the other spouse.

This TurboTax link What is IRS Form 8379: Injured Spouse Allocation has information you may find useful

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies