mariak22

Should I claim my adult son as a dependent?

My 25 yr old adult son who lives with me earned less than $2000 in 2020. If he marks that he is not a dependent, and I don't claim him as a dependent, he is eligible for the stimulus money when he files. That is more than the deduction I get for him. Is there any downside to not claiming him?

MaryM428

The question is whether your son can be claimed as a dependent .  Because you are paying for more than half of his living expenses, he is a qualifying relative and can be claimed as a dependent.

Being able to be claimed as a dependent makes him ineligible for the stimulus payment.

mariak22

I guess my question is am I legally required to claim him as a dependent if I provide more than half of his living expenses?

JamesG1

You are not required to claim your son as a dependent.

If your son files a 1040 Federal tax return, in the Standard Deduction section, he is required to disclose that someone can claim him as a dependent.

A dependent must meet the requirements of a qualifying child or a qualifying relative in order for you to claim them on your tax return.

The tests for a qualifying child are:

• Relationship: Must be your child, adopted child, foster child, brother or sister, or a descendant of one of these (grand or nephew).
  • Residence: Must have the same residence for more than half the year.
  • Age: Must be under age 19 or under 24 and a full-time student for at least 5 months. They can be any age if they are totally and permanently disabled.
  • Support: Must not have provided more than half of their own support during the year.
  • Joint Support: The child cannot file a joint return for the year.

The tests for a qualifying relative are:

• Qualifying Child: They are not the “qualifying child” of another taxpayer or your “qualifying child.”
  • Gross Income: The dependent being claimed earns less than $4,300 in 2020.
  • Total Support: You provide more than half of the total support for the year.
  • Member of Household or Relationship: The person (a friend, girlfriend, non-blood relative) must live with you all year as a member of your household or be related to you.

TurboTax software will ask you simple questions and give you the tax deductions and credits you are eligible for based upon your answers.

See also this TurboTax Help.

mariak22

So if I do pay more than 50% of his living expenses, even if I choose not to claim him on my tax return, he still has to mark that he can be claimed as a dependent on his? When I do that in the software, then he does not qualify for the stimulus.

MaryM428