alejandraandrade

Should i claim Injured spouse protection of joint overpayment if my wifes is paying money owed to the DES ( Department of economic security) ?

My wife doesn't work and I'm giving the payments.

DanaB27

Yes, you can file Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation to try to avoid having your refund taken for paying your spouse’s debt. Please be aware that a return with form 8379 can take 11-14 weeks to process.

Please see How do I file Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation ... for additional information.

You can call 1-800-304-3107 to find out if you had a FMS offset that affected your tax refund. Please see Treasury Offset Program & Debt Management Services for additional information.

DanaB27