turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ojack1109

I was not able to claim my daughter as a dependent for she hasn't lived with us. However, she's a student in college. Is my daughter still considered as a non-dependent?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

I was not able to claim my daughter as a dependent for she hasn't lived with us. However, she's a student in college. Is my daughter still considered as a non-dependent?

She may still be your dependent. It depends on the details of "hasn't lived with us".  A student away at college is considered to only be temporarily absent, from the parents' home, For tax purposes, she is considered still residing with you. This is true even if she is living off campus.
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

No, she will not be listed as a nondependent child on your return. If she doesn't qualify as your dependent and is filing on her own, then you do not list her on your return. The only way a child can be claimed as a nondependent child is if the custodial parent has allowed the noncustodial parent to claim the child. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies