turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mom51968

Do i submit our 17 yr old daughter's benefit amount from my husband"s SSDI and/or her earnings on our income tax return? Does she need to file her own?

my husband gets SSDI and our 17 yr old daughter gets a benefit amount. She also works about 10 hour a week.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Do i submit our 17 yr old daughter's benefit amount from my husband"s SSDI and/or her earnings on our income tax return? Does she need to file her own?

You do not include your child's SSDI benefits or her wages on your tax return. You can still claim her as a dependent if you provided more than half of the support for the year.

If your child has other income from work and receives form W-2, she has to file her own tax return if she makes more than $6,350. Even if she earns less than $6,350, she can file a tax return to receive a refund of federal tax withheld. She will need to indicate on her tax return that she is claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer. On her tax return, she will include her wages on form W-2 and her SSDI benefits. SSDI benefits are partially taxable only when the sum of half of her social security benefits and her wages exceed $25,000, which I do not think is the case.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

You do not include your child's SSDI benefits or her wages on your tax return. You can still claim her as a dependent if you provided more than half of the support for the year.

If your child has other income from work and receives form W-2, she has to file her own tax return if she makes more than $6,350. Even if she earns less than $6,350, she can file a tax return to receive a refund of federal tax withheld. She will need to indicate on her tax return that she is claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer. On her tax return, she will include her wages on form W-2 and her SSDI benefits. SSDI benefits are partially taxable only when the sum of half of her social security benefits and her wages exceed $25,000, which I do not think is the case.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Does she get a W-2, or a 1099-MISC?
mom51968

She got a SSA-1099-SM. Waiting on her W-2
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies