turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My sister that is younger then me 24. I pay all bills. She gets financial aid and food stamps.can I clam her?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

My sister that is younger then me 24. I pay all bills. She gets financial aid and food stamps.can I clam her?

She can't be your Qualifying Child unless she is a full-time student. 

She could be your Qualifying Relative if she has a limited income, and you supply more than half her support.

Qualifying Relative:

The person can't be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer.

The person either (a) must be related to you in one of the ways listed under Relatives who don't have to live with you, or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household (and your relationship must not violate local law).

The person's gross income for the year must be less than $4,150.

You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.

Gross income means all income the person received in the form of money, goods, property and services, that isn’t exempt from tax. Don’t include social security benefits unless the person is married filing a separate return and lived with their spouse at any time during the tax year or if 1/2 the social security benefits plus their other gross income and tax exempt interest is more than $25,000.

Relatives who don't have to live with you. A person related to you in any of the following ways doesn't have to live with you all year as a member of your household to meet this test.

Your child, stepchild, foster child, or a descendant of any of them (for example, your grandchild). (A legally adopted child is considered your child.)

Your brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, or stepsister.

Your father, mother, grandparent, or other direct ancestor, but not foster parent.

Your stepfather or stepmother.

A son or daughter of your brother or sister.

A son or daughter of your half brother or half sister.

A brother or sister of your father or mother.

Your son-in-law, daughter-in-law, father-in-law, mother-in-law, brother-in-law, or sister-in-law.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

She can't be your Qualifying Child unless she is a full-time student. 

She could be your Qualifying Relative if she has a limited income, and you supply more than half her support.

Qualifying Relative:

The person can't be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer.

The person either (a) must be related to you in one of the ways listed under Relatives who don't have to live with you, or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household (and your relationship must not violate local law).

The person's gross income for the year must be less than $4,150.

You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.

Gross income means all income the person received in the form of money, goods, property and services, that isn’t exempt from tax. Don’t include social security benefits unless the person is married filing a separate return and lived with their spouse at any time during the tax year or if 1/2 the social security benefits plus their other gross income and tax exempt interest is more than $25,000.

Relatives who don't have to live with you. A person related to you in any of the following ways doesn't have to live with you all year as a member of your household to meet this test.

Your child, stepchild, foster child, or a descendant of any of them (for example, your grandchild). (A legally adopted child is considered your child.)

Your brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, or stepsister.

Your father, mother, grandparent, or other direct ancestor, but not foster parent.

Your stepfather or stepmother.

A son or daughter of your brother or sister.

A son or daughter of your half brother or half sister.

A brother or sister of your father or mother.

Your son-in-law, daughter-in-law, father-in-law, mother-in-law, brother-in-law, or sister-in-law.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies