obrien2172

Separated & own a home jointly. I receive spousal support & pay all of the mortage costs. IRS 504 seems to say that I can claim 1/2 of pmts as alimony paid back to him?

I am separated and receive temporary court ordered spousal support.  I live in our jointly owned home and pay all costs relating to the home.  IRS publication 504, pgs 12-15 seem to say that  I can report 1/2 of the mortgage and taxes I paid as alimony paid back to my separated spouse, as it is his jointly held cost that I am paying on his behalf. Does anyone have any insight to this?  IRS was unable to answer my questions.

PhyllisG

I am assuming that you are referring to Table 4 on page 22 of the Publication 504. 

The chart is saying that if you are required to pay the mortgage of a community property home under a legal separation agreement; then you can deduct 1/2 of the mortgage payment on Schedule I Line 31a of the Form 1040 as alimony paid.

Your ex-spouse will then have to report the other half of the mortgage payment as alimony received income on Line 11, Schedule I of the Form 1040.

The alimony paid and received also includes insurance premiums and real estate taxes.