Sell 2 rental properties that were part of a 1031 ...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rlamoreaux1
Returning Member

Sell 2 rental properties that were part of a 1031 Exchange

I sold a house in Ca. for a large profit in 2005. I then bought 2 like houses in Las Vegas. Health now forces me to sell these 2 rentals and not do another 1031. How do I do the cost basis for the sold Ca house and bring it forward to the sale of the LV houses? Then, a (what if) sale of the 2 LV houses so I can figure out my capital gains tax.

3 Replies
martinmarks1919
Level 8

Did you do a 1031 in 2005 or not?  Was the house you gave up in 2005 a rental or investment property? Selling one house and then buying two like houses is not a 1031 exchange. Did you use a third party intermediary? You need a tax pro because you're not even asking the right questions.....like you don't "bring forward" the cost basis now when you're thinking of selling the 2 LV houses. You need to figure in depreciation deductions because there will be recapture if you sell the LV houses. See a tax pro ASAP.

rlamoreaux1
Returning Member

I do agree with the tax pro. I'm just trying to get a What-If and a How_much. To answer your questions.

Yes I did a 1031 in 2005 with a rental house in Ca. to 2 rental homes in LV. Yes I used an intermediary, Southwest Exchange, here in LV.

Thanks Bob

martinmarks1919
Level 8

Well, there's a couple of ways to deal with the depreciation after an exchange and you have to know which one you used and are using. This article explains it: https://www.fool.com/millionacres/taxes/depreciation/depreciation-after-1031-exchange-how-it-works/

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings