turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

10ptt20

I've already paid my annual state business tax of $1071.38 for 2016. Why do I have to pay self employment tax? or are they the same?

First year in business and only made $11645.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I've already paid my annual state business tax of $1071.38 for 2016. Why do I have to pay self employment tax? or are they the same?

They are not the same.  SE tax is like Social Security - where you are both the employer and the employee.  I assume the "state business tax" you mention is your state income tax on your earnings.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

They are not the same.  SE tax is like Social Security - where you are both the employer and the employee.  I assume the "state business tax" you mention is your state income tax on your earnings.

self employment tax is your self paid social security tax.  You have to pay it.
10ptt20

Yeah I figured as much. Thank you both for taking the time to reply! Happy Spring!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies