Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is the net income from a single member LLC (listed on Schedule C, line 31) considered qualified income to use for a simple IRA. All of my other income is non-qualified.

Turbo tax says I can't take a deduction for the IRA because the W-2 wage entry is non-qualified (which is true), but makes no reference to income earned from the single member LLC reported in schedule C. The amount reported on schedule C is $2000 and wanted to pen an IRA in the same amount.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Is the net income from a single member LLC (listed on Schedule C, line 31) considered qualified income to use for a simple IRA. All of my other income is non-qualified.

See IRS Pub 560 page 5, Net earnings from self-employment:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p560.pdf

For SIMPLE plans, net earnings from self-employment is the amount on line 4 of Short Schedule SE or line 6 of Long Schedule SE (Form 1040), Self-Employment Tax, before subtracting any contributions made to the
SIMPLE plan for yourself.

Do not report your SIMPLE IRA contribution under Deductions & Credits.  Only if you make a separate regular personal traditional IRA contribution (to a different traditional IRA account, personal contributions to a SIMPLE IRA account are not permitted) would you enter the contribution under Deductions & Credits.

Any amount that you contribute to a SIMPLE IRA, either as an elective deferral or as an employer contribution, reduces your net earnings available to contribute to a traditional IRA.  If your net profit reduced by the deductible portion of SE taxes and your SIMPLE IRA contribution is zero, you have no remaining eligible compensation from which to make a regular personal IRA contribution.  See IRS Pub 590-A page 2, What I Compensation:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590a.pdf

View solution in original post

3 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

See IRS Pub 560 page 5, Net earnings from self-employment:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p560.pdf

For SIMPLE plans, net earnings from self-employment is the amount on line 4 of Short Schedule SE or line 6 of Long Schedule SE (Form 1040), Self-Employment Tax, before subtracting any contributions made to the
SIMPLE plan for yourself.

Do not report your SIMPLE IRA contribution under Deductions & Credits.  Only if you make a separate regular personal traditional IRA contribution (to a different traditional IRA account, personal contributions to a SIMPLE IRA account are not permitted) would you enter the contribution under Deductions & Credits.

Any amount that you contribute to a SIMPLE IRA, either as an elective deferral or as an employer contribution, reduces your net earnings available to contribute to a traditional IRA.  If your net profit reduced by the deductible portion of SE taxes and your SIMPLE IRA contribution is zero, you have no remaining eligible compensation from which to make a regular personal IRA contribution.  See IRS Pub 590-A page 2, What I Compensation:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590a.pdf

My apologies, I made a error in my submitted question, it should read to use for a traditional IRA and not to use for a simple IRA
dmertz
Level 15

My answer should still be relevant.  With no contribution to a SIMPLE IRA, just consider the contribution to a SIMPLE IRA to be zero when interpreting the answer.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies