turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Steve33

"If Form 2210, Part II, Line A checkbox 'WaiverOfEntirePenalty' is checked, the [waiverexplanationstatement] must be attached to Form 2210". Is this a TurboTax issue?

My federal return was rejected when I filed electronically and TurboTax is telling me this is the problem: 

"If Form 2210, Part II, Line A checkbox 'WaiverOfEntirePenalty' is checked, the [waiverexplanationstatement] must be attached to Form 2210" 

This sounds like a TurboTax issue (i.e. not a data entry issue on my part) since Box A in Part II of Form 2210 is checked and TurboTax entered "85% Waiver" next to it?  Not sure how to proceed, so appreciate any insights anyone can provide! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

50 Replies

"If Form 2210, Part II, Line A checkbox 'WaiverOfEntirePenalty' is checked, the [waiverexplanationstatement] must be attached to Form 2210". Is this a TurboTax issue?

exactly my situation - how do I get ahold of them I can find were I can call someone
bstrojny

Hi, there is a support number that you can locate under contact us although I spent over an hour with them yesterday and didn't  resolve the issue.  Supposedly a fix was to be made available today as an update to TT but I haven't seen anything yet.
bstrojny

Hi, there is a support number that you can locate under contact us although I spent over an hour with them yesterday and didn't  resolve the issue.  Supposedly a fix was to be made available today as an update to TT but I haven't seen anything yet.
bstrojny

I agree...saw no update. Was on phone Sun Feb 17 over an hr and first they acted like I was doing something wrong. Then customer service said the higher ups would fix it 25-48 hrs and she would update me also. None of those things have happened.

megbauhof

Same problem! What should I do here??

Same problem.

I have rejected return with the same note and I did not underpay in 2018 (have refund due).  I guess I have to file paper.

What number do I call TurboTax to get a refund for filling paper.  I already paid the electronic filing fee.
jwl59

Same problem. On hold to speak with a 2nd person as the 1st person could not resolve the issue with the form 2210 waiver of penalty. Hold over 1 1/2 hours on counting. Just ridiculous!

Same problem.  What do we do now?

jwl59

Maybe calling the irs would be quicker than this extreme wait. Not happy with TT this year or is the government to blame?

I think I found a solution! I spoke to a TurboTax customer service rep. She told me to change the 2017 tax number (pulled in from my previous year's filing with TT - I don't remember the exact name) to 0. Then I clicked through (there were fewer questions) and submitted. The return was accepted that time. I just hope changing that number to 0 was OK. It seems like it should be since the 2210 form doesn't actually include numbers from 2017.
jwl59

signing off after being on hold for close to 2 hours. try tomorrow and also call irs.

Also, the customer service rep who solved the issue said that - if for some reason that didn't work - to print and send in the forms. I suspect this is related to the "85% waiver" comment they wrote in. This is the necessary comment referencing the new tax law but throws a wrench into their automated system (something about a separate explanations page, which is probably satisfied by their little write-in). Anyway, TLDR, it's fine, just print and send if you can't get it to e-file.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies