Solved: Sale of Decedent's Residence

Sale of Decedent's Residence

I am preparing form 1041 for 2019 for my father's estate. The estate sold his house in November. I understand that direct selling expenses can be deducted, but can I deduct the costs of getting the house ready to sell? Specifically, un-reimbursed expenses for a roofing repair, a water damage claim, and landscaping expenses.

Sale of Decedent's Residence

@bobclark15 wrote:

Thanks for that. The basis would be established as of the date of the creation of the estate. I assume that the sales price (6 months later) and the basis would be pretty close to the same. 

Yes, as of the date of death of the decedent and it would be kind of tough to argue that there was much appreciation (or depreciation) in value within six months.

Sale of Decedent's Residence

You can add the cost of improvements to the basis, but you cannot deduct costs of repairs (aka fix-up expenses) unless the property was business property at the time (e.g., available for rent).

Sale of Decedent's Residence

Sale of Decedent's Residence

@bobclark15 wrote: