Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

KarenCA

Return is rejected because of form 2210

I followed the solution by one user (thanks hmjonescorey) who posted that he deleted the tax liability for 2017 which deleted the form. Go to Federal > Other Tax Situations > Additional Tax Payments > Underpayment Penalties. Then in tax liability for 2017, enter zero, same for next prompt. Be sure to enter zero, leaving it blank will not remove the form. I did the same and resubmitted the return for e-filing. The Federal return was accepted as well as my state return which had been rejected because it was linked to the acceptance of the Federal return. If this was incorrect, too bad. I had an overpayment so let the IRS write a letter to tell me I need to file form 2210.
olsengt

KarenCA  No, that's no good (for me).  If I set both the 2017 tax liability and the next prompt (2017 adjusted gross income) to zero, it changes my taxes due.
01clevey

Form 2210 Rejection:

After installing update dated 2-21-19 which stated:

Here's what's in the latest TurboTax for Windows CD/Download personal (individual) software update (R18) released Thursday, February 21:

Fixed - Unable to clear final review error Form 2210: Part II, Box A should not be checked, the penalty is zero
Fixed - No entry field for adjusted mortgage interest
Fixed - Incorrect line number reference on Form 2210 error message

I refiled (Box A still checked and explanation in Box B comment section) and again both Federal and State were rejected for same "no explanation" reason.

I reopened Form 2210 and right clicked on Box A to open a pull down menu then clicked on override. The X in Box A remained but was now red.

I then checked Box B and a it resulted in a red check in Box B while leaving the Red check in Box A.

I then tried to refile which resulted in a check message returning me to Form 2210

I then again checked Box B which removed the red X but the red x in Box A was also removed leaving no box checked.

I refiled and my return was accepted
olsengt

Well, it's the and of March 1 and no new update.  I would love to be able to override the form as some above have recommended, but for whatever reason my version (Mac download) doesn't have that capability.  TurboTax has really dropped the ball on this one...
kegifford

I have a Windows download and have had several rejections.  Mine was finally accepted. I did not make any changes but TT has updated several times since the problem began. Their final update worked for me.  I just kept resubmitting after every update.
olsengt

kegifford  Do you remember when your "final update" was?  The last time I tried to file was Feb 21, and I think that was my last update.
kegifford

It was on 2/27. Just a normal TT update. I updated and resent. Check daily for updates and resend. My plan was to do this until the clock ran out and then send by mail if I had to. I did not want to go in and start manually messing with form 2210. Good luck!
olsengt

After doing a little more digging into the official instructions for IRS Form 2210, I realized that TurboTax had actually been doing everything correctly, so the problem was that the IRS was rejecting the return when it shouldn't be.  Therefore, even though my return was unchanged from by the more recent TurboTax update, I went ahead and refiled it anyway, hoping that maybe the IRS has fixed things on their end.  This time my return was accepted -- in 19 minutes!  (YAY!!!)  So, with no questionable work-arounds, the IRS is now happy with my return.  That's a relief.
kegifford

That was it. Same journey here.
gjrama

I waited until the form 2210 update was available weekend of 2/15.  Turbo Tax filled in one of the pages but my return still rejected.  To correct it, I went into the forms view and clicked on form 2210.  In part 2, A was X'ed with 85% waiver filled in by TT.  The IRS was still looking for the explanation form which was not generated by TT.  Under B to the far right is a button that says "Explain"  when I clicked that it generated the Explanation form.  I simply typed in "85% waiver due to tax reform.."  I went back and e-filed again.  Within 20 minutes my return was accepted.  I did not want to delete the 2210 as some suggested as I didn't want to risk having to pay an underpayment penalty

eagletix

I believe this is the solution to TT rejecting efiles. "Explanantion of Waiver" is necessary, and must be documented using the "Explain" button under Box B of Part II of Form 2210 (even when Box A is checked with explanation inputted automatically  by TT.
vhkurc

This does not fix the problem
jon333314

This fixed the problem,  I wanted to comment further since it might help someone.  In Part II of form 2210, I have both A & C checked.  Note: the "explain" button is for B which does not apply to me.  If you click the explain button, it does not check B, it only adds an explanation form for 2210 which is what you want.  My return got accepted after resubmitting.  I wanted to point out that both A and C applied to me as it might with you, but for some people it may not and might have got rejected for a different reason, i.e. your income didnt vary throughout the year, etc.
macnaz
Returning Member

Although my estimated and withholding taxes exceeded my 2018 Income Tax liability and TurboTax (using Premier/CD for Mac OS Desktop) indicated I DID NOT owe an underpayment penalty:  I was, finally (after two unsuccessful attempts), successful  in having my Federal and State Tax Returns"accepted; utilizing the method you indicated, above.  The only ADDITIONAL step that I needed to do, was, also, to "check" Item "C" ("to have the IRS figure the penalty and send a bill if penalty due"; and located "above" Part I of Form 2210).  And, as you indicated in your post:  I decided NOT to take the "work-around" steps necessary to "delete"  Form 2210 (and although not required by IRS), as TurboTax was already, by default, attaching it to the Tax Return... And, due to the additional "85% Waiver" provisions (electable via Part II, Box A) and provided in the Form 2210 (in the rare event that I might actually owe an underpayment penalty); and, also to "preserve" TurboTax's "100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee" (which I thought might risk being impacted, if inaccurate tax information/changes (associated with a "work-around") were pro-actively to be entered on the tax documents).  In short, I thought is was a better option for the IRS to HAVE a Tax Form (that might ultimately be inapplicable and not needed) than to NOT HAVE the Form 2210, in case it might be needed for processing purposes----Plus, having (at least presently) the Form 2210 submitted, allows for successful e-file "filing" and "acceptance" (and avoiding delays ( and risk of other data-entry errors) associated with  with "mailing and processing" of the Tax Returns).

I have no penalty due, yet require 2210. Box A was checked, and based on above comments, I added an explanation with the Explain button on Box B. An explanation form was added, yet my return was still rejected. I saw another comment to delete the 2017 tax liability, which I did, but still rejected. Common TT, fix this issue!!!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies