turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zxx

Resident alien for tax purpose filing tax return

As an F1 student working for my PhD degree in the US, I became a resident alien for tax purpose in July 2017 (I came here in July 2012) and am expected to file tax return like a US citizen. I have received W2, two 1042S (one with income code 16 and the other with code 20) and 1099-DIV as well as 1099-B so far. The Turbo Tax seems to be able to help me with two 1099 forms and W2 but I don't know where to enter information shown on my two 1042S forms.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you were present on January 1st 2017, you are a resident alien for the entire year, even though you met the SPT in July, the residency starting date is the first day of presence during the year you first meet the SPT. The information on the 1042s is entered based on the income code. What is the code? Did you have taxes withheld? Are you from a country with a tax treaty? You might still be able to claim the treaty until July 2017.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

If you were present on January 1st 2017, you are a resident alien for the entire year, even though you met the SPT in July, the residency starting date is the first day of presence during the year you first meet the SPT. The information on the 1042s is entered based on the income code. What is the code? Did you have taxes withheld? Are you from a country with a tax treaty? You might still be able to claim the treaty until July 2017.

Jimesa

Please see the below for understanding and help:

Dual-Status Taxpayer

In the year of transition between being a nonresident and a resident for tax purposes, you are generally considered a Dual-Status Taxpayer. A Dual-Status Taxpayer files two tax returns for the year—one return for the portion of the year when considered a nonresident, and another return for the portion of the year considered a resident. In some situations, a taxpayer can elect to be treated as a full-year resident in the transition year to avoid having to file two separate returns.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/general/tax-tips-for-resident-and-non-resident-aliens/L9Mm0x1i6

Does TurboTax handle Form 1040NR for nonresident aliens?

the OP is not a dual status alien if he/she was present on January 1st.

JFYI, dual status returns are not two separate returns. A dual status return is one return including form 1040NR and form 1040.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies