Solved: Reporting international tax refund

Reporting international tax refund

I had been working in New Zealand in 2018 and received a tax refund from NZ in 2019 for overpaid taxes in 2018. I had filed a 2018 US Tax Return reporting the original tax amount as paid. Do I need to report the tax refund on my 2019 filing? If so, how do I report this?

Reporting international tax refund

No, you do not report to your 2019 taxes. You would need to amend your return, instead.

If you have claimed a foreign tax credit on your 2018 US return and now receive the foreign tax refund that was included in the previous calculation, you would need to amend.  I am attaching a post from DS30 for your reference.  I believe his information will help resolve your issue.  Click here: Foreign tax credit refund

Reporting international tax refund