Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Reporting a 1031 exchange on my taxes

Hi! I am filling out a form 8824 to report a like kind exchange and it is adding the income to my taxable income. How do I fix this? I'll give you the entire scenario. I bought a property that I intended to rent but someone gave me an offer before I rented it so 1031 exchanged the proceeds (I have my exchange form) into 3 like kind properties (all single family rentals). How can I report this without it being added to my taxable income?

2 Replies
Expert Alumni

Reporting a 1031 exchange on my taxes

Did you enter the information under the Like-kind exchange section?  To do so, here is the link:



**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Returning Member

Reporting a 1031 exchange on my taxes

Yes I did and it is still adding it to my taxable income. I'm doing 2018 taxes right now if it matters and I'musing the software to do it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies