turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Trying to add a simple form for my 1099-MISC for a 7(j) distribution. Only boxes to be filled are Box 3's Other Income amount and a Check Mark for "other income". Help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Trying to add a simple form for my 1099-MISC for a 7(j) distribution. Only boxes to be filled are Box 3's Other Income amount and a Check Mark for "other income". Help?

Can you provide more details? While there is a box & on the 1099-MISC for other income, there are also other boxes for things like medical payments and the such. How the "J" fits into this, I've not a clue.
What box on the 1099-MISC is the income reported in?
Why were you paid that income?
That should be all that's needed to be known to correctly report the 1099-MISC in TurboTax.

7(j) distributions refer to the Alaska Permanent Fund

The income was reported in Box 3 "Other Income".

I was paid it for being B-class Shareholder of The Aleut Corporation. B-Class shareholders receive an annual 7(j) distribution, which involves no work on my part.

TurboTax puts me through this entire process assuming it's work, and won't simply let me report it as I did the last year, which is purely "Other Income". When I get to the review part of my taxes, the check mark for "Other Income" is not checked, and I can't figure out how to get it checked.

See answer below.

I wasn't clear if those were exactly the same thing, since even in that example the payer ID is different.

The amount of the 2017 Permanent Fund Dividend is $1,100.00.
The state's Federal Tax Identification number is *6001185.

My payer ID is *0043224, and the amount is 1243.08. This is why I was confused.

The amount of the 2017 Permanent Fund Dividend is $1,100.00.
The state's Federal Tax Identification number is *6001185.

My payer ID is *0043224, and the amount is 1243.08. This is why I was confused.

Pls call TT Support when they reopen on Monday.
Carl
Level 15

Reporting 1099-MISC (box 3 or box 7) that is not self-employment income

Under the Wages & Income tab (or Personal Income tab) scroll down to Other Common Income and elect to start/update Income from form 1099-MISC. Then click YES to indicate you have a 1099-MISC.

Enter the 1099-MISC exactly as printed, and then Continue.

Enter the reason you got this money – be it scholarship, bonus, streaking butt naked across the 50 yard line of the super bowl, whatever. Then continue.

Select None of these apply, then Continue.

Select No, it didn’t involve work….. and Continue.

Select ONLY the tax year for which this specific 1099-MISC was issued. Do not select the year that you received the 1099. Select the year for which the 1099-MISC was issued. Select no other year. Then Continue.

Select No, it didn’t involve an intent to earn money, then Continue.

Select NO, then Continue.

Click the DONE button, and that does it.

That looks like it. I think the step where I was entering in multiple years must have been messing up the process, for whatever reason. Thank you 🙂
Carl
Level 15

Generally, income received for the same reason for 3 or more years, the IRS considers self-employment income. So if you've received this money in past years for what is clearly not self-employment, be prepared to be audited (paper audit by mail only) and make sure you can provide sufficient documentation as a response to the audit, to support your claim that it's not self-employment income. If you can prove it, then you lose. Period.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies