turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jrynecki
Returning Member

Remote Work / Travel tax Question

Hi everyone! 

I plan on doing some traveling/ remote work abroad and renting out my home in Colorado during the time I'm away. Can I still use my Colorado address for tax purposes as my permanent address even if I don't physically live there for the time being?

Some caveats -  I rent property from my dad. I pay him rent and I plan to come back to this property after some time away since I can work from anywhere. I'd essentially be subleasing his property with my name still on the lease. Ideally, I want a way to work remotely from anywhere for 6 months to a year, and still have a place to return to in Colorado without having to say that I have moved across state lines or deal with the paperwork of working in a different country.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TomD8
Level 15

Remote Work / Travel tax Question

A few things you should know:

1.  The mailing address you put on your tax return should be the address you want the tax authorities to use in case they need to contact you.  Your tax obligations are not determined by your mailing address.

2.  As long as your main, primary residency (your domicile in tax terminology) is in Colorado, Colorado can tax ALL your income - regardless of where you earn it.  Your domicile remains in CO until you abandon it and establish a new domicile in another state or country.  You can have only one domicile at a time.

3.  Other states can tax you as a non-resident on work performed within their borders.  For example, if your domicile state is CO and you go to Oklahoma to do some work, the income from that work is taxable by OK as well as by CO.  (In those situations CO would credit you for the taxes paid to the nonresident state.)

4.  Income you might earn in other countries is of course subject to the tax laws of those countries.

5.  As long as you're an American citizen, your worldwide income is subject to federal income tax.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies