mrosefamily

Rejection code IND-517-01

Both my dependents checked the box "Someone can claim you as a dependent" on their tax returns, however, my return keeps getting rejected with code IND-517-01 saying that one of them already claimed themselves and I cannot claim them a second time.

Rachel_W

Rejection code IND-517-01

Rejection Code IND-517-01 indicates that the first Dependent listed on your Form 1040 has already filed a Tax Return and claimed themself.  

I recommend that you double check the return to see if your Dependent made a mistake on their return and didn't indicate that they were being claimed as a Dependent.  If they did, they will need to Amend their Tax Return.  If using TurboTax, as you walk through the TurboTax interview process you will need to answer "YES" to the question "Someone else can claim me as a Dependent" and "YES" to "and this person will claim me on their 2018 Tax Return".  You can click here for instructions on Amending your tax return: How to Change a Tax Return You Already Filed.  

At this point, your return cannot be e-filed with this Dependent listed. At this point, you have the option to paper file now, or file for an extension and e-file after your Dependent's Amendment is processed.  If after checking your Dependent's return they did correctly indicate that they are claimed as a Dependent, then your only option is to mail in your Tax Return.

Rachel_W

Rejection code IND-517-01

mrosefamily

Rejection code IND-517-01

Thank you. I have a copy of the dependents' returns and they both checked the box stating they can be claimed by someone else. Should I include their returns, with the box highlighted, when I mail my returns???
Rachel_W

Rejection code IND-517-01

No, don't include their returns as they will confuse things with the IRS.  The IRS will contact you if they need any documentation.
SKRDad

Rejection code IND-517-01

So since i know for a fact that the “can be claimed as a dependent” question was answered correctly, and the solution basically makes it a waste of money to have paid for using TurboTax to e-File, do I then request a refund from TurboTax? To amend my daughters and mail my return basically gets rid of any time advantage of using TurboTax software. Shouldn’t they then provide a refund or at least a discount? Used to swear by their software now I’m wondering if it’s time to switch to something else... 

Girlsnightout800

Rejection code IND-517-01

Do not understand everything is right

Rejection code IND-517-01

@SKRDad You paid to use tax preparation software as opposed to sitting down with paper forms, a calculator and a 108 page IRS instruction book.  There are no promises that you will be able to e-file.  If there has been a duplication of the use of a SSN the IRS will reject the return.  The rejection is not coming from TurboTax.  Your fee is the same whether you e-file or mail the return.

Rejection code IND-517-01

@Girlsnightout800 You may believe everything is correct.  It is still possible that someone used a SSN that you entered on your tax return and the rejection will keep happening.  You cannot defeat a rejection caused by a duplicate Social Security number.  That rejection is coming from the IRS when you try to e-file.  The IRS system has that SSN in the system as having been used.  Your only way to file with that SSN on your tax return is to print, sign and mail the return.  Sorry----and mailed returns are taking a lot longer, so expect a wait for it to be processed.  Use a mailing service that will track it so you know they received it.

Carl

Rejection code IND-517-01

Once the IRS computers have an SSN marked as "claimed" for a tax year, nobody else on the planet can claim that SSN for that tax year. Period. The absolute only option you have at this point (if you truly believe the SSN was claimed by another either fraudulently or accidentally) is to print, sign and mail the return to the IRS.

The return will be processed just fine. But in later review when the duplicate SSN issue comes up (and it will) all parties that claimed that SSN will be audited - usually a paper audit via the U.S. Mail which really isn't a big deal. The one who fails to prove their right to claim that SSN will pay taxes, interest, fines and penalties. So if you have the legal right to claim the SSN, mail the return to the IRS and don't worry about it.

When you get the audit letter from the IRS (anywhere from 12-36 months after they process it) make sure you respond *exactly* as instructed in the letter to the absolute letter of perfection. Otherwise, you lose by default.

Will it delay your refund? Possibly. Maybe not. But then your choices at this point are the possibility of a delayed refund or the definite finality of no refund at all. That's just how the IRS works weather we like it or not.

*The more technologically advanced we get, the farther behind we are.*

Marina0821

Rejection code IND-517-01

My dependents are not filing tax returns as they have no income. What to do?  How can this glitch be fixed? Thank you

Rejection code IND-517-01

@Marina0821 If you are getting a rejection that says your dependent's SSN's have been used, you cannot fix it.  The only thing you can do to claim your dependents is print, sign and mail your tax return and let the IRS sort it out.  You cannot e-file this year.  Sorry.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

bjmillsboro01

Rejection code IND-517-01

No one claims me, my wife or my son who hasn't worked in 5 years or more

CatinaT1

Rejection code IND-517-01

Do you have a question?

STEPHENB64

Rejection code IND-517-01

I too have just encountered this error. Tried to fix it by taking off my first daughter (who is listed as a nondependent, carried over from years of using Turbo Tax). Refiled e-file and again rejected. So when I get home in 2 days, will have to print and send in tax due. Kinda sucks. My other 2 dependents are fine--the box is checked properly on their federal filing.

So, what I am wondering is this--did someone else steal one of our SSNs to file a federal form before us, either e-file or paper file? And that is what is triggering the system error. With all of the stolen data over the years, I have no doubt our information like millions others have been compromised. Am I on target?

DawnC

Rejection code IND-517-01

The 01 at the end of the reject code signifies that the error is on the first dependent listed on your tax return.  Did that child possible file for a stimulus payment?  That would cause the error, but it is possible that someone else has claimed your child.  It is impossible to tell, but if you get that reject code, you either have to remove the dependent or file by mail.

Depending on your specific financial situation, you have choices.  You can include all dependents and mail your return or you can remove the problem dependent, e-file and then file an amendment later to add the dependent back.   Eventually, the IRS will get it worked out.   The other tax return that claimed the child will get the same letter you do about the child already being claimed and someone will have to amend.   Or if it is identity theft, they will issue your dependent an IP PIN that you will need to use the future.  

You will get the credit for your dependent, but it may take awhile.  @STEPHENB64