turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rejected tax return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Rejected tax return

An e-file rejection just means that some things on your return don't match the IRS database.

If you're looking to amend (change) your return, go here instead.

First, check your email

Look for an ACTION NEEDED! email from turbotax@intuit.com. It will give you a brief explanation of your reject and how to update it.

Didn't get an email? Sign in to TurboTax, select Fix my return, and you'll see your reject code and explanation.

Then, find a solution

Here are solutions for the 10 most "popular" IRS rejections. Select yours for detailed instructions on how to fix your return:

• IND-031-04: The AGI or Self-select PIN from last year for the first taxpayer doesn't match IRS records
  • FW2-502: The name or EIN for an employer on your W-2 doesn't match IRS records
  • R0000-504-02: The name or Social Security number for a dependent on your return doesn't match IRS records
  • IND-032-04: The spouse's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year doesn't match IRS records
  • R0000-507-01: A dependent on your return has already been claimed on another return
  • IND-181-01: The Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN) for the first taxpayer on your return is missing
  • F1040-164-01: Must file Form 8862 to claim Earned Income Credit
  • R0000-500-01: The name or Social Security number for the first taxpayer doesn't match IRS records
  • IND-524: The date of birth does not match IRS records
  • IND-516-01: If the Primary Taxpayer is claimed as an exemption in the return, then the Primary SSN must not be the same as a Dependent SSN on another return

Yours not listed? There are numerous e-file reject codes, these are just some popular ones. With your return open, search for your specific code to find help articles on how to fix the error and refile.

Finally, fix and refile your return

Sign in to your account and select the Fix my return button. Follow any “fix it” instructions to update the information causing the rejection, and continue through to refile your return (either e-file or file by mail).

Note: Not all rejections will have explicit guides to fixing the information. If you aren't guided to your solution, search for the item causing your rejection and go to that section. Make the change and select File in the left-hand menu. Follow the onscreen instructions to either e-file your return or file by mail.

eeh19
Returning Member

Rejected tax return

The IRS rejected my tax return with code IND-31-04.  Primary taxpayers AGI or self pin from last year does not s.  I need a copy 2018 tax file from TT  but the problem is that my email for 2018 has changed from 2019.     Any suggestions.     

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

Rejected tax return

The IRS requires that your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) from your tax return from the previous year be included with any tax return e-filed this year.

You can find your 2018 AGI on Line 7 of your Form 1040.

I would suggest that you try and recover your old account using the ' Forgot User ID or Password " link under the sign-in on the first TurboTax page. 

If your previous year tax returns are not available, you can use the IRS Get Transcript tool. Try the online option first. If you are unable to obtain the transcript online, you can have one sent to the address the IRS has on record for you. You can find IRS Get Transcript here.

@eeh19

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
DP-007

Rejected tax return

I'm hoping this reply, and my expansion of the subject title, will make it easier for others to get to the main post when searching for help ... which is now extraordinarily difficult for TurboTax Desktop.

In my case, I got the error, and after long searching, found the main post. 

My AGI error was because I filed by paper in Sep 2020, and the return was not processed for 7 months.  The main post link for my error code told me that I should use 0 for my AGI in this situation rather than my actual AGI number in the final steps before filing.

There are other hints for other error codes in the main post -- I hope they help the reader.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies