donaldschweit

Received a zero 1099-B, even though the statement shows stock sales at a gain. Also says not reported. Do I need to include on my tax return?

MelaineC

Yes, this means that your brokerage company did not have the dollar amount that you paid for the stock so they did not report the cost basis. They did report the sale proceeds to the IRS so you have to report it on your income tax return.

You have to enter what you paid for the stock otherwise you will pay taxes on the total amount of the sales proceeds of the stock.

For tax-reporting purposes, the difference between covered and noncovered shares is this:

• For covered shares, we're required to report cost basis to both you and the IRS.
  • For noncovered shares, the reporting is sent only to you.

Related information:

MelaineC

Related information:

BobinCT

Actually, I read the question to say that the broker did report the basis to Donald, just not to the IRS.