turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need you to let me download TT onto my laptop. I purchased a CD at Best Buy and forgot that I don't have a CD on my new laptop.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

I need you to let me download TT onto my laptop. I purchased a CD at Best Buy and forgot that I don't have a CD on my new laptop.

You will be able to install TurboTax but there will be a few extra steps -
  1. Start by setting up your TurboTax account if you don’t already have one with us here (if you do have one, then log in)
  2. Then, contact our Support Representatives, who will verify your purchase and send you a downloadable copy of the software to your account (this is a process that must be done on the phone with our representatives)
  3. Once that’s been done, you will be able to sign in to My Downloads and download your TurboTax software directly to your computer

Contacted TurboTax and told they could not add a downloadable copy to my account since I purchased my copy from a retailer and not through TurboTax.  Their solution was to purchase a second copy since my existing multiple copy version wouldn't work.  This is a very poor resolution to a very simple problem.  If the number of versions used were tracked from my account this would easily be solved.  However, this approach can't be utilized since when the product is registered with Intuit, it's never associated with my account.  Duh!  Thus, when I sign into my account, Turbo Tax seems just clueless to what products I've used over the years.  Duh again!

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Can you please provide specific details as to the issue you are experiencing with the TurboTax software you purchased?

@bankervp

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Case number: [PII removed]

Purchased TT 2021 Premier CD version (5 copies) during Amazon Black Friday sale, loaded and registered it.  However, several weeks later (approximately Dec 23) I went to load to another laptop but this laptop did not have a CD drive.  Therefore, I contacted TurboTax about setting up a downloadable version to load to this machine and was told to rebuy the product in a download.

During the call it was suggested that I return the copy to Amazon and rebuy it from TurboTax in order to provide in a downloadable format.

Please contact if you need additional information.

See if this works:  case number: 1_48557333_1

Ok ... if you used the CD to install to the first computer you need to use the CD to install to the next one.  If the second doesn't have a CD driver then  you can either save the install file to a thumb drive and use it to move it to the other computer  OR   call TT support and tell them you need a download because of the CD limitations ... if you give them your installation code this should be no trouble ... if it is call again or ask for a supervisor. 

Yes, I thought that was easy enough too so I followed that course of action (see Case # above) which led me to where I am today.  I had the TT Support person pull in the supervisor who came up with the solution to just rebuy the product in a download.  Thanks for your help!

save the install file to a thumb drive and use it to move it to the other computer 

Might work, I'll try that approach.  Unfortunately, I'm now several states away from that other PC so I'll have to mail the thumb drive.  Thanks for this idea.

I would call in again.   They should give you the download.

If you installed from the CD it seems you can not download it from online now.  You can't do both CD and download.   See the new info on this FAQ

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/i-bought-the-cd-but-my-computer-doesn-t-have-a-cd-...

It says...

You can download your software directly from TurboTax. But, keep in mind, you can't use both the CD and the download — you must use one or the other.

And....if the CD has already been registered and installed on another device, you will not be able to switch to the download product or you may receive an error message that says, "This product is already associated with another account."

So you need to call in to get the download pushed to your account.  Contact Customer Service
5am-5pm Pacific Time
Monday-Friday

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

The CD copy was registered and setup on a laptop that had a drive.  When I visited my daughter, several states away and tried to setup on her computer, she didn't have a drive.  When I requested assistance from TurboTax, their only solution was to repurchase the TT Premier product in a download form directly from them.  Thus, having to pay for the product twice.  I was told that if I had purchased the original product from them, they could switch it to a download form but having purchased it through a retail venue, they couldn't do anything for me.

Obviously, they track copies in use by the license code and never associate it with your account when purchased in CD form.  However, when purchased in download form it is associated with your TT Account.  Because I always purchase by the CD, my TT Account has no reference to years and years of purchasing their product.

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for instructions on how to download your TurboTax Desktop software from TurboTax.com:

How to download TurboTax Desktop software from TurboTax.com

If you have any additional question or concerns, please see the link below to reach out to our TurboTax Customer Care team:

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@bankervp

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies