turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sally5313

My electronically filed tax return was rejected, so we are filing by mail. Is the electronic payment we sent with electronic filing cancelled?

We filed our taxes electronically and set up payment for what we owe to be paid on April 15. Taxes were rejected so we are now filing by mail.  Since the taxes were rejected will the payment also be cancelled? We plan on mailing a check with our taxes and don't want to overpay, but also don't want to not pay if we need to.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

My electronically filed tax return was rejected, so we are filing by mail. Is the electronic payment we sent with electronic filing cancelled?

As your tax return was rejected, the direct payment will not be made.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

13 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

As your tax return was rejected, the direct payment will not be made.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

You are correct.  If your e-filed return is rejected, it's as if you never filed at all.  

So just go ahead and file by mail, enclosing your 1040-V along with your payment.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
SandraKColorado
Returning Member

Is this still the case in 2021? I tried to file my returns electronically and had an error that could not be corrected, so I also had to file by mail. I also did not want to send a duplicate payment. When I went to "Open Return" I got the message screen that said "Hello there--looks like you've paid (thank you!) but haven't e-filed yet. If you leave now, don't forget to come back and e-file later. That is, before the filing deadline."

Since this indicated that I'd paid electronically, I didn't send a check to the IRS or state revenue office.

How can I check this?

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

To verify this information, please follow these steps to print or view your TurboTax Electronic Filing Instructions Page.  The banking and withdrawal information can also be printed/viewed on your Federal Information Worksheet Part V, and the State Information Worksheet, Part VI.
Follow these steps to view/print your instruction page:
·         Sign back into your TurboTax online account 
·         Scroll down and click "Add a State"  (This is just a way to get you back into your tax return)
·         Next select "Tax Tools" (left column) and then "Print Center"
·         Select "Print, save, or preview this year's return"
·         Check the boxes for your Federal and State returns (this will open further options)
·         Choose to include the government and TurboTax worksheets 
·         Then click "View or Print Forms".

If you find you did not pay, you can pay your federal online here and state taxes by clicking on your states website here.

@SandraKColorado

SandraKColorado
Returning Member

Thank you for the information. This will not work for me as I did my taxes on a version that I downloaded to my desktop, not online.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the below TurboTax help article for instructions on printing/downloading a copy of your return in TurboTax Desktop. You will need to select all tax calculation worksheets. The location of this information in your printed forms is the same as provided by @Cass0317 above. 

How do I print a copy of my return filed in the TurboTax CD/Download software?

@SandraKColorado

SandraKColorado
Returning Member

If you could help me with this I would very much appreciate it!

SandraKColorado
Returning Member

I'm not asking how to print my return. I'm asking how to find out if electronic payments were sent.

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

You should be able to view your payment information through the IRS website if the payment has been made. This link will lead you to the IRS website, where you can set up an account.  

Make and View Payments 

@SandraKColorado

SandraKColorado
Returning Member

Again, this doesn't help. I made the date for the payment to occur on April 18th through Turbotax. I am not sure when they post payments, but it will be on or, more likely, after the 18th when payment is due. This means I will have a penalty if it did not go through.  

SandraKColorado
Returning Member

"They" meaning when the IRS will post that information.

RobertB4444
Employee Tax Expert

@SandraKColorado  The original message you posted indicated that you had paid for the TurboTax software, not your taxes.  You can only pay your taxes if you file electronically.  Otherwise TurboTax isn't sending anything to the IRS on your behalf.  You need to mail the check in with the return by Monday.

SandraKColorado
Returning Member

Thank you, Robert. I will take your word for this as it makes sense. I guess they were referring to the $25 I paid to add the state return filing? I hope so! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies