turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

plumblao

Can I claim my disabled adult child as a dependent in 2017 who receives SSI and earned $5200 working part time through her Adult Day School?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Can I claim my disabled adult child as a dependent in 2017 who receives SSI and earned $5200 working part time through her Adult Day School?

Yes, you can claim your child who any age if permanently and totally disabled regardless of her income if she otherwise qualifies.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Can I claim my adult daughter who gets ssi she pays fair share of bills and food we pay for everything else 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Your daughter can probably be claimed as a qualifying child.  The test most likely to cause a concern is Support. 

Did the child provide more than half of their own Support during the year?  You may want to review the IRS Worksheet for Determining Support.  It can be found in IRS Publication 501.

Go to the worksheet.  Then go to the index at the bottom of the document and click on the worksheet listed under ‘W’.

The tests that will qualify a child as a dependent are: 

• Relationship: Must be your child, adopted child, foster child, brother or sister, or a descendant of one of these (grand or nephew).
  • Residence: Must have the same residence for more than half the year.
  • Age: Must be under age 19 or under 24 and a full-time student for at least 5 months. They can be any age if they are totally and permanently disabled.
  • Support: The child must not have provided more than half of their own support during the year.
  • Joint Support: The child cannot file a joint return for the year.

@JamesG1  So confused she can’t pay more then half of her share ? Or can’t pay more then half of all expenses she’s pays 1/4 of of mortgage, electric, gas, cell phone, internet, water bills and 1/4 for groceries  

MayaD
Expert Alumni

You daughter can't pay more than half of her own support during the year. The support she provided for herself is different that the income she earned. 

To figure out if she paid more than half of her support review the support worksheet .

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies