turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jessicagcole21
Returning Member

Wrong turbo tax filed taxes

I accidentally filed my taxes under my work turbo tax account and not my personal turbo tax account.... Is this going to cause a problem? How can I fix this? or swap it to my account from theirs? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

You have 2 different accounts?  Why?  You don't log into the same account from both places?  It won't affect your tax return unless you needed to transfer from the prior year in the other account.  Then next year if you want to transfer be sure to use the same account as this year.

Sorry you can not merge or combine accounts.

jessicagcole21
Returning Member

I dont have two accounts my work computer is logged into my employers turbo tax account. I meant to log onto mine and file and for some reason it didn't switch over to mine and stayed on my employeers. Will this affect my employers taxes? Its just there account and all my info. 

What?  You mean you did your tax return in someone else's account?  How come you even have their log in info?  Yes it can affect your return/account and their return/account.  You can only do 1 return per account.  So if you did your return in your employer's account then your return overwrote their return and their return is GONE.   Or if they did their return after yours then your return is gone.  And if you did your return in their account it could have transferred their 2017 info into your return. 

Better check over your return real close.  And see if your return is still in that account and download the pdf of it before Oct.  Did you tell them you used their account?  Next year your info might transfer into their 2019 return.  

Or by any chance do they use the CD/Download Desktop program instead of the Online version?  

jessicagcole21
Returning Member

IT was logged on my computer. Can I amend it and delete it? 

I can't suggest doing anything now because I'm not sure what you have done in the first place.  Do you need to amend your return for something?  You and your employer better check that Turbo Tax Account together and see what return is in it.  No you can't delete a filed or paid for return.  

jessicagcole21
Returning Member

Its all my info with their email and password. thats the only thing! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

at this point, about all you can do is go to the iRS website and get a transcript of your return.   that's assuming it's been filed. then check to see if it accurately reflects your  taxable income, deductions, etc.  

if your transcript reflects inaccurate info 

did you have a balance due, was it paid and has payment cleared the funding source?

or have you received the refund  shown?

or if there is no transcript meaning the IRS never got your return

then see a pro for help in straightening out your taxes. 

if the transcript is accurate, then there's nothing you should do at this point 

your employer should also check his transcript.   it is possible his return contain errors.   

it is also possible that both returns reflect the info entered.  say employer filed first, then you went in an created your own return and filed.  then both returns the IRS got would have been  as entered.  However, his tax data for 2018 has been wiped out  and if he intends to transfer his tax data into his 2019 return he's going to end up with your info. 

All I can say now is that they will need to set up a new account for them next year.  And this one will become yours.  But this one probably has all their prior years in it.  

I would say next year you should go back to your own account and they should start a new account and nobody use this one any more.  

Manage cookies