turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will the Free Version file your taxes electronically? I finished my return and shows ready to mail. I would prefer it transmit electronically as it would be faster.

My return is a simple return so was trying to avoid mailing it out.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Will the Free Version file your taxes electronically? I finished my return and shows ready to mail. I would prefer it transmit electronically as it would be faster.

All the TurboTax online and desktop editions provide e-filing of both federal and state income tax returns.

I wish that were true but only option was to print and mail. I don’t see any options online to click file electronically. 

I can’t ask Turbo Tax Customer service unless I upgrade my version so not sure how to get it to transmit.

@vegasgambler77 wrote:

I wish that were true but only option was to print and mail. I don’t see any options online to click file electronically. 

I can’t ask Turbo Tax Customer service unless I upgrade my version so not sure how to get it to transmit.

The tax return can only be e-filed if you have entered some taxable income on the tax return.  Did you do this?

You complete your tax return by finishing all 3 Steps in the File section. In Step 3, to e-file your tax return, you must click on the large Orange button labeled "Transmit my returns now".

I have no taxable income but I am trying to file so it will activate the 1st stimulus that I never received. I went line by line and shows I am due $1200 that I never received so I figured it would transmit that to the IRS.

Not really helpful for those who got skipped and IRS says to file so you can still receive your stimulus.

@vegasgambler77 wrote:

I have no taxable income but I am trying to file so it will activate the 1st stimulus that I never received. I went line by line and shows I am due $1200 that I never received so I figured it would transmit that to the IRS.

Not really helpful for those who got skipped and IRS says to file so you can still receive your stimulus.

You can add $1 of interest income so the tax return can be e-filed

To report interest income received -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home & Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home & Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on
  • Under Interest and Dividends
  • On Interest on 1099-INT, click on the start or update button

Or enter interest income in the Search box locate in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to interest income

On the Form 1099-INT when asked for Received from enter any name.  Enter $1 in box 1

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies