Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

walkerpb
Returning Member

Will providing direct deposit information to the IRS for the stimulus check cause my Turbo Tax E-File to rejected due to duplicate SS #?

When I try to E-File my return via Turbo Tax, I am getting an error message that says ""a tax return with the same social security number has already been submitted"...  No tax return for 2019 has previously been submitted; however, I did submit the direct deposit information online form to receive the Stimulus Check via direct deposit.....could this be creating the duplicate SS # error message
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Will providing direct deposit information to the IRS for the stimulus check cause my Turbo Tax E-File to rejected due to duplicate SS #?

Did you read the warning where it says, do not do this if you need to file a 2019 return. ?

cskcpa20
Returning Member

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

Please review the FAQs 

I think Q15 may be most in line with what you did but I can't be sure. 

walkerpb
Returning Member

I had filed a 2018 return but not a 2019 return... but IRS did not have direct deposit information.  

Simply went to IRS GetMyPayment tool and provided bank account information so stimulus could be direct deposited.  Did not understand this tool to be the same as a "non-filer".

This was simply a tool to get the IRS the needed bank account information for direct deposit purposes.

Did NOT understand this would cause me not to be able to e-File the 2019 return...

Where was the "warning" you are speaking of??  

the non-filers button is ON THE LEFT of the get my payment button. filers are warned not to use that tool if they press that button ON THE LEFT.

When a tax return not your own has been filed using your SSN or your dependent's SSN, or with your spouse as a primary taxpayer, you can't e-File and you must file on paper via US Mail.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies