turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is not 100% of my State overpayment being applied to 2021 State estimates, instead of giving me a refund?

See my question posted above--it is self-explanatory.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Why is not 100% of my State overpayment being applied to 2021 State estimates, instead of giving me a refund?

You have a choice of what to do with your state and federal tax refund with respect to having it applied to next year's tax or receiving a refund. You should review your state tax return and you will see an option to choose what to do with your refund before you finish up your review.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

......or if you had already indicated amount to apply to 2021 earlier this week or in the last few weeks...last night's software update may have changed either your Federal, or your state form calculations, and the resulting state refund amount.

Which is why some of us drum-beat regularly pleading with people to not file their taxes before all the forms have been fully updated, and some states are STILL in flux for another week or three......sometime AFTER the IRS starts processing.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Hal_Al
Level 15

It sounds like accidently selected to have your refund applied to next year's return.  if so, you need to change it.

The state programs may vary.  On my state, it's found on the screen titled "A Few Things Before We Wrap Up your State Taxes".  Look for "Other Situations", then "Apply your refund to next year's taxes".   Click on Revisit or start.

If the opposite is true, you want more of your refund applied, you change it in the same place.

I guess, the way it was stated...I thought he wanted 100% to be applied to 2021 taxes.

"Why is not 100% of my State overpayment being applied to 2021 State estimates"

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Hal_Al
Level 15

@SteamTrain 

Good point. I wasn't sure either.

I've added another sentence to my reply to cover either way.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies