turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is my final refund amount different from my federal and state amounts when I am filing for free?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Why is my final refund amount different from my federal and state amounts when I am filing for free?

Without seeing your return, it is hard to say.  You might need to have somebody looks over your returns.  

I would suggest you consider our new product / features TurboTaxLive to file your 2019 taxes.  This way you could have one of our tax professionals to review your tax forms. 

To do so, in the TurboTax program, once you complete your taxes, before you file, you’ll be given the option for a final review of your return by one of our tax professionals.  After they completed reviewing your return, they’ll inform you of any proposed changes.

Here are the instructions:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6071042 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I do not need to get a more expensive product.  This issue is not dealing with a tax issue.  It gives me my refund amounts and when I go to file, it takes a fee of $500 =/- from the total refund.  I am filing under $0 fee.  Why is this happening.   You are charging for a simple form.  I would like to file with you but not worth $500.

There are no fees anywhere near 500.   Do you owe for federal or state?  At the end Turbo Tax shows you a summary of the net combined federal and state. But that is only for your info. You will still get the full amount and need to pay any tax due separately yourself. 

My total refund is for $1000 combined state and federal.  When I go to file it reduced it to $445.  I do not have to pay.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies