turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why doe Turbo Tax calculate my 2020 taxes much lower than using the Tax rate schedule?

Turbo  Tax calculates my tax at $5785. The 2020 IRS Tax rate schedule calculates it at  $7800.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Why doe Turbo Tax calculate my 2020 taxes much lower than using the Tax rate schedule?

Any Long Term Capital Gains?  They are taxed at a lower rate.

Thanks for your reply. According to TurboTax Line 15, Taxable Income, is $68516. I had a long term capital gains loss, so no tax there. No short term capital gains. Line 16 Tax is $5782. According to the IRS Tax Rate Schedule, I'd be in the 12% bracket and my tax would be $7827. The difference is more than $2000. Why?

How much on Line 3a Qualified dividends?  Those aren't taxed a the full rate either.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Make sure line 7 on the 1040 is really a loss too.......Edited probably in parenthesis to show a loss... can be as much as -3,000  but no more.

Edit:  Just checked....Looks like they use a "-" sign, not a parenthesis for a loss

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies