turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does my husbands social security show on my income if married filing separately?

It looks like I have more income than I do?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Why does my husbands social security show on my income if married filing separately?

If you are married filing separately, you never enter your spouses income on your tax return. It won’t be there unless you added it. Did you enter two 1099 – SSA forms?

Be aware however, that if you are married filing separately and you lived with your spouse at any time during 2019, then at least half your Social Security benefits are automatically taxable, even if they would not be taxable if you file jointly.

Did you use the TurboTax online editions to file a prior year tax return as Married Filing Jointly?  If so, you need to create a new account with a new User ID if you are now filing as Married Filing Separately - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

Filing MFS only your spouse's name and SS number is entered on your tax return.  No income from your spouse is reported on your tax return when filing as MFS.

However, if you are in a community property state the filing becomes more complex when filing as MFS.  See this TurboTax support FAQ for MFS in a community property state - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/married/help/married-filing-separately-in-community-property-state...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies