turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why do I owe the IRS and the Department of treasury when I eFiled February 28th 2020? So turbo tax isn’t really legit? I’ve never owed the IRS ever in a day in my life

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Why do I owe the IRS and the Department of treasury when I eFiled February 28th 2020? So turbo tax isn’t really legit? I’ve never owed the IRS ever in a day in my life

TurboTax does not receive anything from the IRS concerning your tax return after the return has been filed and accepted by the IRS.

What did you receive from the IRS?  What is the notice or letter number located in the upper right of the IRS page, usually preceded by either a CP or LTR?  What tax year?

Not sure what you think e-filing has to do with whether you owed tax due.  Did you look at your Form 1040 before you filed?  Was there a tax due amount shown on line 23?  Just because you have not had tax due in past years does not mean you could not owe for 2019.  The tax laws changed for 2018 and beyond, and many people have been getting results that are different from their past tax returns.

Look at your tax return.  Do you see a refund amount on line 20, or an amount of tax due on line 23?

"So turbo tax isn’t really legit?"

Millions of users prepare and file tax returns using this software.  TurboTax cannot guarantee that users will enter all of their information correctly or completely, or enter it in the right place.  So if you made a mistake, you will need to correct it.  Or if you owe tax due this year, you will need to pay what you owe.  Did you receive a letter from the IRS? 

TurboTax does not receive any information from the IRS or your state after your return was filed, so no one at TurboTax knows about a letter you received from the IRS or the state.

(what the letters from the IRS mean)

I GOT A LETTER FROM THE IRS   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3605673-i-got-a-letter-or-notice-from-the-irs

I AM BEING AUDITED

If you purchased Audit Defense:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2924451-i-bought-max-or-audit-defense-and-now-i-m-being-audited

AUDIT SUPPORT

TurboTax has a special phone number for help with IRS/state tax letters, which will be easier than going through regular Customer Support.   At the page below, click on the blue button that says "Get Help from TurboTax Support".  Then it will ask you what tax year is your letter.  Then it will ask you what the letter concerns. Then it will show you the phone number during posted business hours.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If the IRS has notified you that they changed your tax return and now you owe, you will have to tell us more about what they changed. 

If you owed in February and did not pay, you owe now.  If you selected that you would pay by bank debit or pay by credit card, check your bank or card records.  If you did pay, send proof to the IRS.  If the charge or debit did not go through for some reason, that's your responsibility to keep track of and you owe the payment now with interest.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies