turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why did the IRS reject my e-filed return (for not including my W-2 and1099R income and w/h) after TurboTax e-mailed me saying it was accepted by the IRS?

It seems to me that the e-filed return should have included all W-2s and 1099Rs as entered into TurboTax. Is the IRS requiring more than it used to?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Why did the IRS reject my e-filed return (for not including my W-2 and1099R income and w/h) after TurboTax e-mailed me saying it was accepted by the IRS?

Did the IRS present any W-2 or 1099-R not included in your return? The IRS accepts your return initially and then does further investigation to see if there are any discrepancies.

The IRS sent me a letter asking me to mail in the W-2 and 1099R.  Easy to do, but my point is that TurboTax should have included that info with the e-file documentation.  It seems to me that there is a problem within the TurboTax software by omitting the required docs when e-filing. I just wanted to bring this to the attention of TurboTax/Intuit. 

JohnB5677
Employee Tax Expert

You are correct.  TurboTax does include W-2s and 1099s with E-filed tax returns.  It is unusual that they were missing.  

Did the IRS ask for specific documents or did it just ask for all W-2s and 1099s?

Is it possible that there were blank carryover documents from 2020 that mistakenly got posted?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The request from the IRS was to provide " Any supporting documents verifying income and withholding", along with the Form 1040 and "amounts and dates of all Estimated Tax payments". I didn't do any Estimated Tax Payments as all withholding was in one W-2 and one 1099-R.  I mailed in the requested documents, so we'll see what happens. 

The W-2 and 1099R were clearly entered and show up in the "Forms" section of TurboTax. In my pdf copy, the amounts of withholding are shown on the "Tax Payments Worksheet" but I didn't see the actual W-2 and 1099R in the pdf copy.  

If this happened in my return, I assumed it would happen in thousands of other e-filed returns. That is why I brought this up to TurboTax, as there appears to be a glitch.  We'll see what happens. Hopefully, my refund comes in within a few weeks. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies