turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hrg1
Level 3

Why can't TurboTax 2018 Deluxe e-file if I use Form 1116-AMT? I did last year. This year my e-filing was rejected by IRS and TT said I can't e-file if I have 1116-AMT.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

Why can't TurboTax 2018 Deluxe e-file if I use Form 1116-AMT? I did last year. This year my e-filing was rejected by IRS and TT said I can't e-file if I have 1116-AMT.

Who said you cannot e-file with Form 1116-AMT (or where did it say that)? It should not be an issue. 

If you need to contact Customer Support, you can do so using the link below during regular business hours.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

hrg1
Level 3

Thank you for your reply.

TurboTax says I can't. The Review process said I was good to go. I e-filed. IRS rejected. In TurboTax, I checked the reason for the rejection. It said their was a problem with Form 1116. It also said that if I was filing form 1116-AMT, I could not e-file and I would have to print. I quadruple checked everything on all the 1116's, and tried to make any tweaks I thought might be the problem. It was rejected multiple times with the same message. I called the support center. Both the agent, and their supervisor said, "If that's the message you are getting, and you are filing form 1116-AMT, then you have to print your return and mail it in." I expressed disbelief, since I have e-filed in the past with 1116-AMT, including last year. They said some changes were made for 2018 that caused e-file not to work, and this must have been one of them.

I also asked why that's not part of the review process. I had already paid for state e-file, which won't work if the Fed e-file doesn't work. They said, "Yes, that happens sometimes."

The message also said you cannot e-file if you have multiple copies of form 1116(!?!). I assume this meant multiple income category forms, as I've filed with one passive category form that was on 3 "copies" since there were more than 6 country designations. 

Either of these changes seem unbelievable. But it's what the message said, and the support center agreed over the phone. (Though they didn't seem to know that specific reason for rejection.)

Are you aware of this message or know that it must be untrue from experience this year?

Thanks again.

@hrg1 wrote:

Either of these changes seem unbelievable. But it's what the message said, and the support center agreed over the phone. (Though they didn't seem to know that specific reason for rejection.)

There is some confusion on that issue. I was able to get through the e-file process without an issue but, obviously, it was a test return and most likely did not contain the same information as did your return which eliminated the possibility of a rejection.

I am not sure what changed for the 2018 tax year, but tax reform might have had something to do with it.

hrg1
Level 3

Hmmm... Does this mean you WERE able to e-file a sample return with form 1116-AMT? 

If so, that would imply I need to fix something else, and the message I got from TurboTax was wrong. 

Thanks.

Same thing happened to me -- TT said return was error free, and then it was rejected for a reason that was obvious on the face of the return, the presence of a 1116-AMT.  Never a problem in the past.  Too bad that trees will have to die for this.

This just happened to me, also.

The same thing happened to me in 2019 and again in 2020.  The explanation for the rejection was clearer this year.   It says the Program does not support more than one Form 1116 per income category.  Each Form 1116 can handle 3 countries, so, if you have more than 3, you can not e-file.  

It is very upsetting that they don't disclose this upfront in the walk-through and preparation of the taxes.   Additionally, they have several blog entries in the community that explain a very time consuming workaround, that does not work.   Why not just address the program limitation and explain what you have to do?

hrg1
Level 3

Thank you @CH_427 for the clarifying message. I had originally, last year, thought the message meant more than 1 income category. So the clarification is helpful. I'll have to see if I can combine countries into "Various" this year.

And I agree on your second paragraph. It was particularly frustrating last year to have gotten all the way through to paying the fee for the state E-File before finding out I couldn't E-File.

This happened to me, too. I e-filed with 1116 AMT (and three copies of 1116), and was rejected saying that for 1116 AMT I need to file in paper.  Why?  Why Turbotax does not warn about it?  I made some payments online, which is also going to be wasted...

Any advice?

Until the program is corrected, if you have foreign tax from more than three countries with the same income category, you need to file by mail.      You can reach out to customer support for a refund of the electronic filing fee.   I sent in a request with my invoice and a screen print of the rejection notice from the program.   They approved the refund because the rejection was caused by a program limitation.   Very quick turn around by Customer Support.    

I have 2 form 1116’s, both with the same country (various). One for dividends, the other for foreign taxes paid per K-1’s. If I try to put all these on a single 1116, the program gives me an error. If I use 2, my filing has been rejected. Twice. It does not mention 1116 AMT, which appears to be program generated because I’m paying AMT. I have filed electronically every year with foreign taxes without issue

Anonymous
Not applicable

your question is not clear. are you trying to e-file 2018?  2018 e-filing is closed. you have to mail in the return. you also can't do your 2019 return using 2018 TT.  if you are trying to do 2018 you need to purchase the desktop software.   As to 1116's a separate 1116 is required for each category.  dividends are of the passive category but in many cases the FTC thru a K-1 is of the general category 

I now realize I am in the wrong thread, but ended up here with the same issue as last year. TT has not fixed. 

I am filing 2019 return using premier TT desktop. rejected twice for 1116 errors. I went back and read and the comment about multiple 1116s for either too many countries, or for different forms of income was generic. at the bottom it simply said if you have 1116 amt you cannot efile.

I combined my 2 1116's into one, by forcing the paid and accrued taxes together. i always had one form of income, passive, but 2 1116s bc one was paid, the other accrued. now I just have one, but i also have 1 1116amt. I deleted that form and overrode the entry on 6251 amt form, so my taxes are the same, but TT keeps adding back the 1116amt. so I have not tried again to efile for the 3rd time, bc the 1116amt form cannot be permanently deleted. It appears unless there is a workaround, I cannot efile with the 1116amt? (which as I have said above, was not an issue w/ TT in the past) 

Manage cookies