Why can't TurboTax 2018 Deluxe e-file if I use Form 1116-AMT? I did last year. This year my e-filing was rejected by IRS and TT said I can't e-file if I have 1116-AMT.

Who said you cannot e-file with Form 1116-AMT (or where did it say that)? It should not be an issue. 

If you need to contact Customer Support, you can do so using the link below during regular business hours.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Thank you for your reply.

TurboTax says I can't. The Review process said I was good to go. I e-filed. IRS rejected. In TurboTax, I checked the reason for the rejection. It said their was a problem with Form 1116. It also said that if I was filing form 1116-AMT, I could not e-file and I would have to print. I quadruple checked everything on all the 1116's, and tried to make any tweaks I thought might be the problem. It was rejected multiple times with the same message. I called the support center. Both the agent, and their supervisor said, "If that's the message you are getting, and you are filing form 1116-AMT, then you have to print your return and mail it in." I expressed disbelief, since I have e-filed in the past with 1116-AMT, including last year. They said some changes were made for 2018 that caused e-file not to work, and this must have been one of them.

I also asked why that's not part of the review process. I had already paid for state e-file, which won't work if the Fed e-file doesn't work. They said, "Yes, that happens sometimes."

The message also said you cannot e-file if you have multiple copies of form 1116(!?!). I assume this meant multiple income category forms, as I've filed with one passive category form that was on 3 "copies" since there were more than 6 country designations. 

Either of these changes seem unbelievable. But it's what the message said, and the support center agreed over the phone. (Though they didn't seem to know that specific reason for rejection.)

Are you aware of this message or know that it must be untrue from experience this year?

Thanks again.

@hrg1 wrote:

There is some confusion on that issue and, frankly, it is my fault. I was able to get through the e-file process without an issue but, obviously, it was a test return and most likely did not contain the same information as did your return which eliminated the possibility of a rejection.

I am not sure what changed for the 2018 tax year, but tax reform might have had something to do with it.

Hmmm... Does this mean you WERE able to e-file a sample return with form 1116-AMT? 

If so, that would imply I need to fix something else, and the message I got from TurboTax was wrong. 

Thanks.

Same thing happened to me -- TT said return was error free, and then it was rejected for a reason that was obvious on the face of the return, the presence of a 1116-AMT.  Never a problem in the past.  Too bad that trees will have to die for this.

This just happened to me, also.

The same thing happened to me in 2019 and again in 2020.  The explanation for the rejection was clearer this year.   It says the Program does not support more than one Form 1116 per income category.  Each Form 1116 can handle 3 countries, so, if you have more than 3, you can not e-file.  

It is very upsetting that they don't disclose this upfront in the walk-through and preparation of the taxes.   Additionally, they have several blog entries in the community that explain a very time consuming workaround, that does not work.   Why not just address the program limitation and explain what you have to do?

Thank you @CH_427 for the clarifying message. I had originally, last year, thought the message meant more than 1 income category. So the clarification is helpful. I'll have to see if I can combine countries into "Various" this year.

And I agree on your second paragraph. It was particularly frustrating last year to have gotten all the way through to paying the fee for the state E-File before finding out I couldn't E-File.