turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lodi2012

Why am I not able to do direct deposit this year? I have done so in the past.. and my federal says ready to mail but what does that mean? Am I being mailed something or am I suppose to mail something?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Why am I not able to do direct deposit this year? I have done so in the past.. and my federal says ready to mail but what does that mean? Am I being mailed something or am I suppose to mail something?

If you are seeing "Ready to mail," it means you chose the File by Mail option instead of e-File or your return is not eligible for e-filing. So you will need to print and mail your return if you choose to file a paper return or if your return is not eligible for e-file. 

Keep in mind, there are also still some IRS and state forms that have not been finalized yet. You won’t be able to e-file right now if your return has unavailable forms. Click on Review to see if your return has forms that are not yet ready and it should show the date they should become available as well. 

This link will give you the instructions on how to print and mail if you are using the TurboTax Online version of the software and need to mail the return How do I print and mail my return in TurboTax Online?

If you chose the File by Mail option by mistake, you can switch to e-file using the steps below. Click on "Change to e-file your return in TurboTax Online versions" below and it will show you the instructions for how to do that. 

NOTE: If you try to switch to e-file and it doesn't allow you to, you can find some reasons listed here When a tax return can’t be e-filed no matter what you do that would be the cause for not being able to e-file your return. And in 

In this case, you need to print and mail.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies