turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nov_284

Which parent should claim advance child tax credit, married filing jointly with two kids

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Which parent should claim advance child tax credit, married filing jointly with two kids

Filing jointly it does not matter which parent received the advance child tax credit.  You report the payments received when asked by the program.

if you're filing jointly it won't matter.

nov_284

If I put it in as each of us receiving the credit, the program doubles it. We received $500 total, but when I put it into the program it asks if $1000 is correct. 

Super annoying; I tried to opt out of the payments totally specifically to avoid this problem. I mean, I didn’t see *this* problem coming, but I knew it was going to be something. 

There is no problem.

On a joint return, your family gets the credit per child.

You enter the numbers only once.

if somehow you both applied for and both received the credit per child,

you'll have to pay back half of it.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies