turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ClaremontStinks
Returning Member

Where to find 2019 e-file "ELECTRONIC POSTMARK - CERTIFICATION OF ELECTRONIC FILING"

I filed my 2018 taxes with Turbotax as an application on my computer.   I saved the PDF of my returns from the desktop application and the last page is an "ELECTRONIC POSTMARK - CERTIFICATION OF ELECTRONIC FILING".

I just filed my 2019 return and I did it with the online app, and I used the "Download/Print Return" option.  It only included my Federal return but not my state return.  It also didn't have the Turbotax cover page and most importantly it didn't have the Electronic Postmark page.  Where can I find the Electronic Postmark confirmation?  I need to show it to a lender.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Where to find 2019 e-file "ELECTRONIC POSTMARK - CERTIFICATION OF ELECTRONIC FILING"

Here's an alternate way to print by opening the filed return back up to print at the Print Center, where you can also get the worksheets.

Log in and at the Tax Home or in the section Your Tax Returns & Documents for 2019, look for a link Add a State.  Click on Add a State.  (you don't really add one.  That's just to open your return back up.)

After the return is open, click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then PRINT CENTER.

Then choose Print, save, view this year's return.

The next screen should offer some options:  Just my tax returns or include government worksheets (optional), or include government and TurboTax worksheets (optional.)

See if one of those PDFs has what you need.

View solution in original post

14 Replies

Here's an alternate way to print by opening the filed return back up to print at the Print Center, where you can also get the worksheets.

Log in and at the Tax Home or in the section Your Tax Returns & Documents for 2019, look for a link Add a State.  Click on Add a State.  (you don't really add one.  That's just to open your return back up.)

After the return is open, click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then PRINT CENTER.

Then choose Print, save, view this year's return.

The next screen should offer some options:  Just my tax returns or include government worksheets (optional), or include government and TurboTax worksheets (optional.)

See if one of those PDFs has what you need.

Carl
Level 15

I used the "Download/Print Return"

I'm not that familiar with the online version. However, I do believe you have serveral choices.

- Save forms required for filing

- Save forms for your records

- Save everything

My wording of the options above may not be exact. But basically, when you elect to save "everything" to your computer as a PDF file, that will save the tax return along with all worksheets and calculation forms. That will make the PDF have over 100 pages in some cases. But with that particular option to save everything, that will include the electronic postmark certification.

Also, be aware that the certification will not be there until some time "AFTER" the IRS has accepted your return.

With the desktop version you have to open the program and then "check status" before the program will generate that form. I don't know if it works the same way with the online version though.

ClaremontStinks
Returning Member

thanks!  this should be marked as a major bug by the software, or a major design flaw.  why are the tax tools not visible from the "tax home" page?

Yes it might take awhile for it to show up.  Not until your efile is Accepted.  Has the IRS Accepted it yet?  

In the Online version check your efile status here     

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/   

ClaremontStinks
Returning Member

those options aren't available from the tax home page.  however, if you can find your way to the tax tools menu and then the print center as VolvoGirl suggested, then you have more options

ClaremontStinks
Returning Member

No, but my 2018 taxes accepted, and they are listed from the home page.  If I select my 2018 taxes i should have the tax tools available to me too.  The "Download/Print Return" option under 2018 doesn't give me my state either.

Huh?  I thought you said you used the Desktop CD/Download program to do 2018.  Then the only copy is on your computer not saved online.  

ClaremontStinks
Returning Member

Yes, I did use the Desktop version for 2018, but I thought maybe Intuit linked up their software via the cloud and didn't keep them as separate entities.

The IRS accepted my return but there is no receipt at the end of the tax return when I try to save.  Does it take some time to reflect changes?

Nope.  Online and Desktop are different and separate.  You should have noticed a lot of differences when you did 2019 online.  By the way, if you want to go back to the Desktop program next year then download the 2019 data file to your computer ASAP so you can transfer it into 2020.

If you used the Online version you should always save both the PDF file and the tax data file each year (before online closes Oct. 15) so you have a copy when you need it or if you ever need to amend it in the future.  You shouldn't rely on getting a copy from Turbo Tax.  Or if you want to use the Desktop program next year so you can transfer from this year.

Save the PDF

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/saving/help/how-do-i-save-my-turbotax-online-return-as-a-pdf/00/26...

Save the tax file

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/saving/help/how-do-i-save-my-turbotax-online-return-as-a-tax-data-...

ClaremontStinks
Returning Member

I see.  Closes Oct 15?  Wow.  Online version stinks.

Well Oct 15 is the last day you can efile.  Then online shuts down to get ready for the next year.  

Some advantages of the Desktop CD/Download program over the Online version,  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/what-are-the-advantages-of-the-turbotax-cd...

The Online versions are only good for one return per account.  And you may need to upgrade to a higher version to enter certain things. See the Online versions here,  https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

All the Desktop versions have the same forms so you can use a lower version.  You just get more help in the higher versions.  You can see and buy the Desktop versions here,  https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

And the Desktop program can do unlimited returns and efile 5 Federal for free.

You can see and enter directly into the actual forms.

There is a What-If worksheet.

Basic does not include a free state program and has some other limitations like doesn’t import from It’s Deductible.

Deluxe and above include one free state program download to prepare returns for the same state.  Then each state return is 19.99 to efile (goes up to 24.99 in March).  Or you can print and mail state for free. If you need to also file a state return for a different state it is 39.99 to buy an additional state program.

@ClaremontStinks Online software always shuts down after the October deadline so that they can get the online software ready for the upcoming tax year--in mid-November only 2020 software will be available online.  After October 15, anyone who did not finish using online for 2019 has to download desktop software in order to finish preparing a 2019 return.  E-filing closes for 2019 returns and 2019 returns have to be printed signed and mailed (in desktop, too.)

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
ClaremontStinks
Returning Member

If online users, who already paid money, could then download and use the desktop version then this would not be as much of an issue (although why Intuit follows this protocol of expired online versions is puzzling).  Or perhaps if the online version cost less it would be totally acceptable.

However, neither of the above is true, so you might as well buy the desktop version because you aren't restricted like you are with the online version.

If you use the Online version and paid you can call support and ask for the Desktop program.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies