turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nsharr

Where is Form W-4 - S in turbo tax, during the complete check it says I must enter "total allowances must be entered". I went through the whole return & cant find it .

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

Where is Form W-4 - S in turbo tax, during the complete check it says I must enter "total allowances must be entered". I went through the whole return & cant find it .

You can find the W-4 in TurboTax by following these steps:

1. Select Search in the top right corner of your screen,
  2. Enter W-4,
  3. Select Jump to W-4,
  4. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete your W-4.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
l_stanz

I followed the above steps, and am still getting the same error message as the original poster. No matter what I do, I am unable to file my return. Any additional suggestions?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

As part of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, the IRS and Treasury adjusted the tax withholding tables, which affects the amount of income taxes withheld from your pay.  For 2020, W4's have been completely redesigned.  Exemptions or Allowances are no longer applicable. 

My suggestion is to use the IRS Tax Withholding Estimator here

l_stanz

I appreciate the response, but it doesn’t address my issue. I’m aware the new W-4 doesn’t use allowances, and I used the calculator to complete the new W-4. 
The issue is that I am unable to file my return, as I keep getting the error message (“Form W-4 - S: Total Allowances must be entered). I am unable to proceed with my return as a result. 
I appreciate any help anyone can provide. 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

I would delete the form from TurboTax so you can file.

1) Open your tax return.

2) Go to the left side of the screen and click on Tax Tools, then Tools

3)  From the pop-up Tools Center  menu, select  Delete a form

4) Scroll to find the Form W4 and Delete it.

5) Scroll to the bottom of the list and hit the button to Continue My Return

That should do it.

l_stanz

THANK YOU!!!!

This has been making me CRAZY, trying to find a straight answer. I really appreciate it!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies