turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cwnpw
Returning Member

Where do I enter my 2019 Turbo Tax license code so I can download Turbo Tax to my computer on line and not from a CD?

I already have purchased the cd, but my new computer does not have a cd port so I need to download on line.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Where do I enter my 2019 Turbo Tax license code so I can download Turbo Tax to my computer on line and not from a CD?

It doesn't work that way.  You would have needed to buy the download directly.

If you got the CD at Costco, there is a special code or procedure in the box, it's a deal between Turbotax and Costco.  Otherwise, you need to either (1) return the CD to the vendor and buy a download separately, from Turbotax, Amazon, or another reliable vendor, or (2) call customer support during business hours and see if they will provide a download to your account. 

[Edit]

Turbotax has apparently finally moved into the 21st century and does now allow you to download the software using the product key without calling customer support.  See this FAQ

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/i-bought-the-cd-but-my-computer-doesn-t-have-a-cd-...

View solution in original post

You enter the license code during the installation of the software.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for downloading the software when you do not have a CD Drive - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/i-bought-the-cd-but-my-computer-doesn-t-have-a-cd-...

View solution in original post

5 Replies

It doesn't work that way.  You would have needed to buy the download directly.

If you got the CD at Costco, there is a special code or procedure in the box, it's a deal between Turbotax and Costco.  Otherwise, you need to either (1) return the CD to the vendor and buy a download separately, from Turbotax, Amazon, or another reliable vendor, or (2) call customer support during business hours and see if they will provide a download to your account. 

[Edit]

Turbotax has apparently finally moved into the 21st century and does now allow you to download the software using the product key without calling customer support.  See this FAQ

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/i-bought-the-cd-but-my-computer-doesn-t-have-a-cd-...

See this TurboTax support FAQ for downloading the software when you do not have a CD Drive - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/i-bought-the-cd-but-my-computer-doesn-t-have-a-cd-...

Carl
Level 15

Let me guess. Your computer does not have a CD/DVD drive and you purchased the CD.

If so, use "ANY" computer that has a CD/DVD drive in it and copy the contents of the CD to a USB thumb drive. Then you can use the thumb drive to install the program on your computer.

Otherwise, you can go through the *very* time consuming hassle of calling customer support and seeing if they will give you a download. More than likely if you did not purchase the CD directly from Intuit, they will not.

@DoninGA wrote:

I didn't realize they had finally gotten around to the 21st century.  Good to know.  

Here's my experience on both Windows and Mac.

I have Windows.  I logged into my account and went to Downloads.  I first clicked on Copy Code then on the download. After it downloaded I clicked on the exe file.  Got a little worried when it didn't ask to Activate when installing.  But when it was done I clicked on Launch Now and the first thing the Activate box popped up and I did Ctrl+V to paste the code and it worked! 

To install on Mac.  I bought the CD from Costco and don't have a CD drive on the Mac.  Was able to download it.  It went very smooth. When you see the download on the screen to download, first click on the blue Copy Code link to the left.  Then after you install it and need to activate you can do Command + V to paste the code into the box.

There should be a card in the CD case that says how to download it and you will need the 14 digit code from it to enter.

When you goto your online account to download it don't click on the very bottom link that says online.  That takes you to the Online web version not to download the Desktop program.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies