turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When will the irs beging to accept returns for tax season 2020

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

They have not announced a date yet.   It is usually not until the end of January.  We do not know if it will be delayed longer this time.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Not until the very end of January.  I think I saw Jan 27.  Or maybe that was just last year.  So don't be in a hurry to file.  You can't get it back if you make an error or get any more W2 or 1099 forms you weren't expecting.  Just wait.  

Lisams

February 12 is listed on another tax software site.   I am not sure if it is the same for all but that was just listed recently.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2021-tax-filing-season-begins-feb-12-irs-outlines-steps-to-speed-refund...

The IRS is not accepting returns at this time, so it can sometimes take longer than the initial 24-48 hours before you know if they have accepted or rejected your return. This generally happens around this time when e-filing has not opened yet.  Keep in mind, they will not officially start accepting e-filed returns until February 12th.   A few may be accepted early to start testing their systems, but they would not start processing until on or after 2/12/21.

@Lisams wrote:

February 12 is listed on another tax software site.   I am not sure if it is the same for all but that was just listed recently.

The IRS originally announced January 27 but they have pushed it back to February 12.  

There is, of course, no guarantee they will stick to this date either.  They are backlogged due to the stimulus payments and many last minute tax law changes. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies