turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When the 2020 tax seasons comes around, I'm going to have 3 returns. Can I have an agent walk me through filing for my taxes in 2020?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When the 2020 tax seasons comes around, I'm going to have 3 returns. Can I have an agent walk me through filing for my taxes in 2020?

@andrewryan6793 Okay--you are just not using the correct terminology.  You will not have three "returns."  A tax RETURN is the Form 1040 you submit to the IRS.  You will have three W-2's, one from each of your employers.  When you prepare your 2020 tax return, you will enter all of those W-2's on the same tax return.  After you enter the first one, you will be able to click "add W-2" and keep entering your W-2's until all of them have been entered.  

When you are preparing your 2020 return, please ask for help here in the user forum BEFORE you e-file so we can make sure you enter all of it correctly and completely.  It is a lot easier to prevent mistakes than it is to fix them.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

11 Replies

What do you mean by "3 returns?"  Do you mean you need to file tax returns for three different people?  If so you should consider using desktop software instead of online TurboTax.

When you use Online TurboTax, you get one return per fee.  Each return needs its own account and user ID.   If you use the same account and user ID for a second return, you overwrite the first one and lose it forever.

When you use Desktop TurboTax, which you install from a CD or download to your own hard drive, you can prepare and e-file multiple returns for the cost of the software.  You can e-file up to 5 Federal returns—more if you mail the additional ones.  If you have multiple returns to prepare for family members, Desktop is more cost effective.

Desktop --unless you specifically buy federal  Deluxe only from a retailer-- will include the software for one specific state.   You can prepare as many returns for that state as the number of federal returns you prepare.  E-filing state returns is an extra fee which can be avoided by printing and mailing the states.   Additional--other--state software is an additional fee for the software.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901306-how-many-times-can-i-e-file-using-the-turbotax-cd-or-downl...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2942039-what-s-the-difference-between-turbotax-online-and-the-turb...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2750704-what-are-the-advantages-of-the-turbotax-cd-download-softwa...

Not sure what you mean by "have an agent walk me through.."  TurboTax is do-it yourself tax software.  No one is going to hold your hand all the way through the program.  If you use a paid version you can get customer support and/or help from this user forum.

If you use online TurboTax Live, you can get live help from a CPA and a review of the return before you file it.  But be aware it is relatively expensive.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/what-is-turbotax-live/00/27191

If by chance you said "3 returns" because you worked for three different employers and you will have three W-2's---those are not three returns.  ALL of your income goes on the same tax return Form 1040, no matter how many W-2's you have.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Yes what do you mean by 3 returns?  All for you?  Like maybe 1 federal and 2 different states?

I mean 3 returns from 3 different places of employment. I worked 3 different jobs this year due to my original workplace shutting down.

@andrewryan6793 Okay--you are just not using the correct terminology.  You will not have three "returns."  A tax RETURN is the Form 1040 you submit to the IRS.  You will have three W-2's, one from each of your employers.  When you prepare your 2020 tax return, you will enter all of those W-2's on the same tax return.  After you enter the first one, you will be able to click "add W-2" and keep entering your W-2's until all of them have been entered.  

When you are preparing your 2020 return, please ask for help here in the user forum BEFORE you e-file so we can make sure you enter all of it correctly and completely.  It is a lot easier to prevent mistakes than it is to fix them.

That last bit you said in your reply is actually what I was talking about. I've never worked 3 jobs in a single year before so I didn't know exactly that it's 3 W-2s and not 3 returns. Regardless, how do I go about filling out my 2020 tax return with 3 different W-2s? Is there an option to add W-2s while I'm filing? I'd prefer to file myself if I can because I don't exactly trust people and if I mess up my own return, I'm the sole person to blame on the matter. You know?

Thank you. I will definitely ask for help once I have all 3 of the W-2s. I never filed for multiple jobs within the same tax season before so I didn't know. I appreciate your help.

Yes enter ALL your W2s and income into the same tax return.  You only file 1 tax return form 1040.  So don't file until you get all the W2s.  After you enter one of them you can add another.  You pay one tax on all your income.  Are they taking tax withholding and deductions out on each job?  

Yes. They are. I wouldn't file without all my tax information. I just never filed with 3 different jobs before. This year has been crazy.

It has been nuts for all of us ... follow the program interview screens just like you have in the past and after you enter the first W-2 form just click on the ADD A FORM box to enter another and another ... easy peasy. 

add w-2.PNG

@andrewryan6793 wrote:

That last bit you said in your reply is actually what I was talking about. I've never worked 3 jobs in a single year before so I didn't know exactly that it's 3 W-2s and not 3 returns. Regardless, how do I go about filling out my 2020 tax return with 3 different W-2s? Is there an option to add W-2s while I'm filing? I'd prefer to file myself if I can because I don't exactly trust people and if I mess up my own return, I'm the sole person to blame on the matter. You know?

You file one tax return for the entire year that lists all your income, deductions and credits.  Entering a W-2 is usually the first thing you do, and after entering one W-2, one of the questions the program will ask is, "do you have another W-2?"  Keep going until you have entered them all.

Don't be in a rush to file, wait until you have all your tax documents.  The company has until January 31 to mail the W-2 and you can't start complaining to the company or the IRS until at least Feb 15.  Make sure all thee companies have your correct mailing address.  Some companies offer employees the ability to view and download their own W-2s, you might want to sign up for this so you don't have to wait for the mail.  Some companies will also provide their W-2s to Turbotax so customers can load their wage information automatically, but many do not, so you should still be relying on those paper W-2 forms you will get in the mail.

When you prepare your return, you can upgrade to Turbotax Live Online to get live assistance from a tax accountant, but it is probably not needed.  Just follow the steps in the program carefully, read everything, and do go to the next step until you understand what is being asked of you. 

It really, really has. But thank you as well. Everyone here has been super helpful. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies