turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

arysyth
Returning Member

When i import a csv from coinbase turbotax returns the error "No headers found in this file"

what headers does turbotax want? or is there an example csv that I can put the data into
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

When i import a csv from coinbase turbotax returns the error "No headers found in this file"

Coinbase no longer supports a direct import of a CSV file into TurboTax from their site which has resulted in an error message for some users. Instead, Coinbase is relying on a 3rd party, CoinTracker, as an option to calculate your cryptocurrency gains and losses and to access your CSV file. For more information, including a link to CoinTracker, please see this TurboTax Help Article: How do I get a CSV File from Coinbase?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
elonmusck9877
Returning Member

that's not what the app says. you're clearly lying. 

Reported to bbb and ftc. Everyone do the same! Intuit has been abusing it's monopolistic power for way too long. The gov already knows how much we owe, but Intuit keeps on lobbying to keep filing tax complicated and difficult so it can stay in business and make billions from our time and suffering. how many lifetimes do we collectively waste every year just from typing W-2s into turbotax? and now we can't even report bitcoin transactions without stabbing ourselves in the left eye. We have no choice to but to file with Intuit or hr block and they know it. Watch hasan minhaj's episode "why doing taxes is so hard". Intuit provides 0 value to the society and should cease to exist. 

https://twitter.com/hasanminhaj/status/[phone number removed]7380225?lang=es

arysyth
Returning Member

Just like @elonmusck9877  says you are incorrect this is from their website (https://www.coinbase.com/reports)

"

Import your Coinbase transactions into TurboTax

Save $15 on TurboTax Premier

Special offer

You can e-file your crypto gains/losses with the rest of your taxes. We’ve partnered with TurboTax to save you $15 on TurboTax Premier, which easily handles cryptocurrency gains and losses. Just click the button to the right and your discount will automatically be applied at checkout. Learn more

I’m looking for additional forms and information

"

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

We apologize their website is leading it to be incorrect. However Turbo Tax wants to make things as smooth as possible, and not cause you any delays or frustration. 

The only way to bring in your Coinbase information is to follow the instructions provided by @EbonyA above. 

If you have any further questions, please click here to contact customer support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
arysyth
Returning Member

well TurboTax also claims to be a partner with Coinbase and can import all their data. 

So your claims are in bad taste. 

You have lost another Intuit customer, I went back to the IRS website and found a different service that allowed me to file for free, https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/ and this allowed me to skip over $200 in TurboTax fees you all wanted to charge.

scamp2032

This worked for me.  I'm using TurboTax Deluxe. I was able to download my Coinbase transactions and import them into TurboTax Deluxe.

Create a CoinTracker account.  It is free.  Go to the Tax Center in CoinTracker.  Go to Tax Reports.  Select Tax Filing Software.

Select TurboTax CD/Download File and download your transactions.

Using TurboTax (software version).

• On TurboTax, select File -> Import -> From Accounting Software (Windows) or File -> Import -> From TXF Files (Mac)
  • Select Other Financial Software (TXF file) and click Continue
  • Select the TXF file you saved  and click Import Now
  • Click Done on the next screen
  • To review the added information in TurboTax, go to Federal Taxes / Wages and Income / Investment Income / Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other.
  • Your Coinbase transactions will appear here!!

I'm told CoinTracker has a deal with TurboTax which allows for 3000 free transactions to be downloaded/imported.  I successfully did 39 transactions even though a message on CoinTracker says it's limited to 25. 

Very disappointed with Turbo Tax this year.  CSV download/import was promised.  Hope this is fixed next year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies